ten | blood bath

— — —

— — —

There is no such thing as 'getting over it.' Trauma permanently changes you and no matter how hard you try, there is no way to forget. Whether the marks are physical, emotional, or mental, it doesn't really matter either. The harsh reality of it is that it rips you from yourself, your safety, and your sanity.

And there's no going back.

There is a way through it though— not giving up. And that was hard. It was so damn hard when the entire world was against her. But if she gave up, then what the hell was she even fighting for anymore?

Finnick's words rang through her mind as Cass pulled this year's suit up over her hips and past the faded seven inch scar wrapping around the side of her torso. The thin, pallid mark was prominent against her tanned skin, still faintly there after everything the Capitol had done to try to repair the damage.

They couldn't though. There was no possible way for Snow or anyone else that had been involved in The Games to make up for what they'd done. The scars were there, literal or not, and there was trauma burrowed deep inside her chest.

That's why she buried everything inside. It was easier to do that than to feel as deep as the wounds cut. Because if she did something as imperative as experiencing all of her emotions, she'd lose control. It'd happened when she was twelve and her mom had died. Her entire world had come crashing down, and if it wasn't for her dad, she would've drowned.

But, she'd never really been given that opportunity in the first place. Finnick hadn't let her. He knew how her mind worked and he knew exactly how she shut down when she didn't want to feel anymore— when everything came surging up, threatening to overflow.

'It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together than it does to fall apart though.'

That's what he'd told her when she asked how he carried everything so well after The Games and it was the exact same thing he'd said when Kai died. So it's what she did— she wiped her tears, picked herself back up, and kept going.

Because if she didn't, then what was the damn point?

"Are you ready?" Daisie asked, shattering the muted ambience inside as her fingers dropped from the zipper attached to the back of her suit.

Cass didn't say a word as her dark eyes shifted in the mirror from herself to Daisie.

"All right, then." Daisie stammered out, dropping her gaze. "Let's go."

It was silent as the door to her room was opened, light flooding into the darkness. Cass followed her out into the lounging area, locking onto a pair of sea-green eyes already pinned on the door.

Finnick stood, taking the remaining steps to her. His hands reached up, cupping the back of her neck. "I'll find you. Okay? I promise."

Her hands reached up, layering over top of his, warmth exuding from her touch. Cass couldn't say a word, only a nod moving her head.