Innocent Blue Eyes

© Millie1198 2013 No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of the publisher.

_____________________________________________

My feet tapped against the linoleum floor, as I made my way down the gloomy corridor. Behind me, the living room emitted cheerful sounds of guests dining with my parents, and I shuddered at the thought. Who know how they'll be acting, just because they're in front of a couple cameras?

'Don't embarrass us.' They say. 'Smile for the camera.' They say.

I chuckle at that statement. I doubt they'll be smiling much any longer.

Keeping my head high, and my body straight- but not tense- I turned the corner of the hallway. My shoes clapped against the tiles; sounds echoing off the arched walls.

Click, clack, click, clack.

The hallway was slightly lit; the only light coming from the moon in a nearby window. I stopped abruptly and turned on my heal, facing the object that caught my attention. My eyes traveled around the delicately engraved window frame, to the glass, then finally out to the garden behind it.

Now fading from the summers last sun, the leaves are a light brown, and the petals from the rose bushes are withering away, down to nothing. There is no lush foliage, or vibrant flowers poking out from every corner you turn. Despite these unfortunate happenings, they do not withdraw from the beauty of the night sky.

Blue and gray hues made up the sky, and a myriad of stars blotted the inky canopy. A low, waning gibbous moon rested tenuously in the twilight heavens, which bestowed only a sliver of light upon the dying garden.

I squinted my eyes calculatingly before I pulled myself away from the window and continued my walk, my feet still clicking away.

Click, clack, click, clack.

My room came into view, and I cautiously picked up my pace as I neared it. The maid was out in the hallway, and I figured she must've already cleaned my room. Flashing her a quick, tight lipped smile, I rushed into my room and soundlessly closed my door.

My attention was automatically caught by the colors; the paintings that hung in various spots of the room. An oil painting of my parents and I hung above my bed frame, and a Picasso sat above my desk. They detracted from the original theme of the room which was dark and mysterious, and I made a mental note to take them down later, but for now, I had something to do.

Walking to my desk, I opened the drawer directly underneath the top surface. My eyes instantly were met with shining objects, all of various shapes and sizes. Light glinted off some of them, and shined directly onto my face.

Humming slightly, my fingers fluttered delicately over the instruments laid out before me. They were lined up so innocently, that if a stranger so happened to walk in here, and spot the drawer, they would suspect nothing but a hobby. An unusual hobby, but a hobby nonetheless.

My fingers stop their moving and landed on the one in particular, which I snatched up and shoved into the inside pocket of my tuxedo jacket, making sure it was perfectly concealed.

I walked over to my mirror and checked my reflection. Smoothing out my tux, I cocked my head, staring at my face. Short hair, straight nose, and a misleading pair of innocent blue eyes.

Perfect.

My feet took me over to the door, and I left my room, feeling oddly happy. I left the hallway and hovered by the doorway to the living room. From here, I could see the people partying with my parents and I scowled as I realized that my parents didn't even notice me missing.