Begin the dream

Today is a day like any other, only, the sky is a dark grey and it's raining. Though it's not at all depressing I swear, I love the rain so I'm a little excited to go home and sleep to the sound of soft pitter pattering.

I had a long day at.. school? Work? I can't remember anymore, every day feels like it gets longer and longer for some reason.

I slowly head down the sidewalk, enjoying the drizzle, I'm not soaked yet so I'll keep my pace like this until I get back home. Hopefully, my thoughts will wash away.

"Hello sweetie, nice to see you again" A little confused I stop and turn towards the direction of the voice, I sigh upon seeing my neighbor once again ushering me to her with a slight motion of her hand

"Yes, likewise," I say with a tired smile as I reluctantly make my way towards her and she pulls out those same old cards that I've probably seen at least a hundred times now.

"Don't worry I'll be quick today, wouldn't want to take too much of your time" she says with a kind smile as she shuffles her cards "After all, it is raining"

I simply smile with a nod as she spreads her cards once more on the table in front of me and motions for me to choose three.

I extend my arm and draw three, one from the front, one from the middle, and one from the end. She takes those cards and puts the rest away.

She begins.

She flips the first one, the past card she calls it.

"Let's see.. quite a bit of sorrow these past few days, such a shame for someone like you" she looks at me pitifully

The look she gave annoyed me slightly but I ignored it and nodded my head "Yeah.. haha.."

"Yes yes, I see that it's the same one from yesterday" she continues

She moves her hand to the second card and flips it, the present card.

"Ah, nothing exciting or interesting. You've had quite a tiring day now haven't you" she says with her usual smile.

"Yes, yes, very interesting," I say simply to be respectful when honestly I just wish to go home. But she always insists on reading my future and using her cards on me, sure she's nice but sometimes I just wish I could pretend I didn't notice her and continue on my way.

She continues, happily flipping the last card over, the future card. But this time, her smile falters.

I furrow my eyebrows a little in confusion as she stays quiet for a moment, examining the card.

"Do I have no future, Ms. Inma? Is that it?" I say jokingly, to try and lighten up the somewhat darkening mood.

She looks up at me and smiles "Oh no no! Haha nothing like that dear" she slides the card toward me. She points at it and lightly taps it with her finger.

"It's just that... I'm a bit confused by the card you chose, it says there will be great conflict and trouble in your future"

"..." I look at her in slight shock, she's never said anything like this before. It's mostly normal run-of-the-mill stuff. But this, this is new.

"Oh, but I'm sure it's nothing! It's just a simple card, after all. Anyway, thank you for playing with me again, I appreciate it, not a lot of people want to willingly hang out with me. But I'm glad you do" she takes my hand, patting it tenderly before putting her cards away.

I feel a twinge of guilt pass through me and I smile warmly at her and place my hand on top of hers as she moves to pick up the rest of her cards "Of course, I don't mind. I'm glad to play with you, it always cheers me up" I squeeze her hand a little before waving goodbye and continuing my way back home.