Chapter 4-06

Angering a caring character like Alyssa was Avery's first mistake.

Jinxing the very person she was into was his second.

Strike three was thinking he was untouchable.

Avery was out.

Out cold.

Your ex-housemates swarmed the victor after Avery slumped down. They all celebrated as if Alyssa's win was their own, while your current housemates mourned, heads hung low, ashamed by the disgrace the loss earned their noble House.

They lost to a Gryffindor, a female Gryffindor, at that. They could groan and moan all they wanted. The impact of Alyssa's stunning spell had so much shwung behind it that it knocked your representative straight into dreamless oblivion.

The win-to-lose ratio to her opponent's name may not have been the best in the class, but a win was a win. Alyssa won this round—and Avery, out of commission, had it coming for him.

Wood screeched over stone as the class rearranged the tables and chairs. They had been pushed against the walls so they wouldn't be destroyed.

You waited backstage until the fuss died down. Gryffindors were giving each other a hand while Slytherins stayed as far away from each other as they could.

A girl student in green asked a boy student in green to lift a chair for her because it was too heavy. All the help she got was the smallest push of the knee against it.

You went over to the far more friendly individual with a high-five as a reward. Alyssa came a long way and might be close to beating you.

Saying that to her didn't make her believe it. Her admiration for your techniques were tempered by the disbelief that she could be on par with them. "You're just being nice! I can't beat you in my dreams!"

"I'm not that hard to beat." Humility was a good quality—one that Avery learned by getting a taste of his own medicine.

"Don't sell yourself short (Y/N)," she chided. "You beat Tom in your first duel!"

Eh, kinda sorta. "It was a draw. I never beat him."

No one had. Tom had a winning streak going on, immune to challenges. It didn't seem like anyone was going to topple him off his pedestal in the near future.

Alyssa wasn't entirely wrong. You were the person that got closest to making him lose, but that was when he had less grip on his magic.

His reaction to Avery's loss? Not pleased. You weren't the mind reader here so you couldn't tell if it was the loss of one of his lackeys that bothered him, or if it was the drama that did.

Repositioning the furniture was as tedious as it was meditative after spectating such a heated fight.

"You're still a tough one!" Alyssa persisted half in awe, half in self-doubt.

What a wholesome moment! Too bad they never lasted for very long.

It didn't take a Seer to see Avery wouldn't stay down for over a handful of minutes. It was only a matter of time before he limped over to warn that Alyssa and Will were going to regret making him their enemy.

And just like that, the atmosphere took a nosedive. Avery didn't seem to be going to let go of it as he carried on, spittle flying on to the table leg Alyssa was adjusting. "Diggory and you haven't seen the last of me! This ain't finished! You were lucky!"

Why he left your name out of it? Because you and him never faked liking each other. Tom's hidden frown beneath his wavy fringe shouldn't contribute to Avery not pestering you.