𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

✈︎𝐑 𝐄 𝐁 𝐄 𝐂 𝐂 𝐀

You know how when you're a kid and you do something bad and you feel that pit of dread in your stomach because you think your parents will find out?

That's how I feel right now. As I get ready to submit my application for the Naval Academy all I can think is:

-My mom is going to freak.
-My dad is going to kill me.
-Am I going to get grounded?

To answer each of these questions, yes my mom will freak, yes my dad will mentally want to end my life, and no because I am twenty one years old.

Maybe that's how everyone is feeling right now. I mean surely I'm not the only one that feels the need to throw up right now. Right?

"You don't look too good." Amelia comments. I take a glance at my little sister. She stands in front of me at the kitchen bar eating some cereal.

"Thanks Mia." I reply flatly.

"What are you doing anyway?" She leans over the counter making me shut my laptop. I've been researching everything I need to know about naval aviation.

"None of your business." I snap.

"Fine. Be that way." She crosses her arms over her chest.

"It's nothing personal, Mia. Just adult stuff." I tiredly wipe my eyes.

"But I'm almost ten. Why can't I know?" She asks, trying to reason with me.

"Because Mia-" I hear the front door open and my mom comes in from work. I slide my laptop into it's case and turn to face her. "Hey mom!" My voice cracks making me clear my throat. "You're home early."

"I am." She gives me a strained smile, and that's when I see the groceries in her hands. I run over to grab some of the bags out of her hands before she drops something. "I told Jimmy that you two have been complaining about our groceries-"

"Or lack there of." Amelia mumbles.

Mom rolls her eyes, finishing her sentence. "Anyways. Jimmy said he would finish up painting for me so I could get in and out of the store before tonight's dinner." I give her a confused look as I try to think of what she is referring to. She catches this look and places a hand on her hip. "Why are you giving me that look?" The muscles in her face relax. "You forgot didn't you?"

I hear rustling and see Amelia at the calendar and today's date where it says-

"Oh fudge nuggets!" I hiss as I read "Dinner with Dad." I groan. "That's tonight?"

"Yes." Mom rolls her eyes as she starts putting away the groceries. I open my mouth to protest but she holds up a finger. "And don't even think about rescheduling." I shut my mouth and slump in my chair.

"But mooooom." I whine.

Amelia scoffs. "What are you five?"

I glare at my little sister, my eyes throwing fiery darts in her direction. "Shut it, Mia."

"Ah-Ah!" Mom gives me a warning look. "Don't you talk to her that way."

"Why can't I cancel on him? I have so much I have to do." I try to reason with her, even though the only thing I had planned was to stare at my naval academy application for hours on end.

"Rebecca Anne Mitchell!" When she uses my middle name, I know she means business. "He is your Dad. You never get to see him. You should be grateful that he has made time to come and see you." She hugs Amelia from behind and motions to her with her eyes.