✧ : a promise unkept

Macaque sat against a tree, staring at the waves that surrounded Flower Fruit Mountain. His six-ears flicked at the sound of the water rushing onto the shore, before it then retreated back into the large body of water.

Macaque's ears picked up a new sound, the sound of rustling. His ears fluttered, perking up towards the sound. He sighed before speaking, "I know that's you, Wukong." The dark-furred simian smirked, turning his head towards the rustling sound of bushes.

Sun Wukong lifted his head out of the bushes with a devastated, dramatic huff. "Awh man! I wanted to scare you this time!" The sage pouted, sticking his tongue out at the other. Macaque only smiled at his joking disappointment, shrugging as he sat down along the sand, tail flicking the way it usually did when he was deep in thought.

A set of colorful ears fluttered once more in acknowledgement when the golden monkey sat down beside him. "What're you thinking about, Liu'Er?" Wukong asked the simian curiously, a bit of concern radiating off of the ginger simian.

Macaque's eyes darted to Wukong, sighing.

"Are.. Are you sure this battle is worth it, Wukong?" The warrior asked the king. "The.. um- The consequences.. are uh, a huge serving, you know that right?" Macaque continued, stammering on his words a bit, like he was rummaging through a dictionary; trying to find the right words to describe this.

"Oh don't be like that, Liu'Er! We're gonna be fine!" Wukong nudged his buddy playfully with a smile, gently handing a peach over to his best friend. Macaque gently took the peach in his hands, staring at it.

"Trust me, Macaque! When the battle is over, we'll be right back here with the rest of the brotherhood, completely unscathed and living our victorious life!" Wukong spoke a bit too confidently, but it managed to make Macaque chuckle. "You have too much confidence, you know that?" Macaque smirked, his words only being marked as teaseful.

"Perhaps I do, yes, but it's worth it! Is it not?" Wukong giggled, draping an arm over Macaque's shoulder and pulling him close. "We're gonna win this, Mihou. I promise you, and we're both gonna be back here, together." Wukong's tone was much softer now, sincere.

Macaque only sighed, his tail flicking out of restlessness. "Whatever you say, Wukong." The warrior finally muttered. "That's the spirit!" Wukong laughed, nuzzling against his best friend as Macaque giggled. "Okay, okay! That's enough," Macaque was breathless from his laughter at this point.

The two of them sat there together, silently eating their peaches and staring at the gentle waves that engulfed the sand in front of them.

If only Wukong had kept his promise…

Then maybe,

Their fall-out wouldn't have been so ugly as it was.

The way Macaque screamed and pleaded for Wukong to stop, blood aggressively pouring from his right eye socket, body completely beat.. bones broken.

His screams rang in Wukong's ears, but his begs went unheard by the Hero.

He kept going until Macaque stopped screaming.

Until he stopped breathing.

He just wanted Wukong to keep his promise.

This isn't what he wanted.