Chapter Fifty Nine - Revelation

TERRORIST LINK TO ROTWELL AGENCY!
FORBIDDEN WEAPONS FOUND AT RUINED INSTITUTE
STEVE ROTWELL STILL MISSING, PRESUMED DEAD

First interview with DEPRAC investigator Montagu Barnes inside:

The sensational discoveries made in the rubble of the ruined Rotwell Institute facility in Hampshire continued yesterday, with confirmation that police had uncovered the remains of a large 'weapons factory' in one of the outbuildings. Among the items recovered are said to be several unexploded 'ghost-bombs' of the kind used in a terrorist attack on the London carnival last November, in which an attempt on the life of Miss Penelope Fittes was made. Several members of the institute staff, including facility chief Mr Saul Johnson, have been arrested, amid claims that they and agency head Mr Steve Rotwell were intimately involved in that attack. Mr Rotwell's whereabouts remain unknown, but it is believed that he may have perished in the explosions that destroyed the facility.

In today's exclusive interview in The Times, DEPRAC chief investigator Mr Montagu Barnes gives a detailed account of his team's dangerous exploration of the ruins. 'It was an inferno when we arrived,' he says. 'But we managed to discover a store of illicit weapons, including deadly ectoplasm-guns. Ghost-bombs are just the tip of the iceberg, believe me.' He refused to comment on the contents of the central building at the site, which was severely damaged in the incident. 'Sadly, the purpose of that building is not yet clear. Rest assured that enquiries are continuing.'

Police investigations widened yesterday, following reports of forbidden Sources found stored at the institute. Several arrests have been made among staff at the Greater London Metropolitan Furnaces in Clerkenwell, and more are expected in the coming days. However, such developments pale into insignificance next to the crisis surrounding the Rotwell Agency. With its leader missing and other key executives also implicated in serious crimes, public confidence in the organisation has plummeted and its future hangs in the balance. Latest reports suggest that DEPRAC has invited Fittes Agency head Miss Penelope Fittes to take temporary charge of the rudderless organisation in an effort to stabilize its fortunes. She will run both companies from her offices in the Strand.

"Well..." Lockwood said. "That's another investigation successfully brushed under the carpet." He tossed the paper onto the breakfast table and reached for the toast. "Old Barnes is a master at this sort of stuff. All that flimflam with the illegal weapons allows him to quietly gloss over the only important thing, which is the iron circle. Still, I suppose we should be happy that he's glossed over our part in the affair too."

"I'm very happy about that." Holly said.

They all were. They were happy about many things that morning. And because of that, they'd decided to enjoy an official celebratory breakfast at 35 Portland Row.

It was the day after their return from Aldbury Castle, and the sun was shining bright. Holly had thrown open the kitchen door. Birds sang, new leaves sparkled. Cool spring air flooded the room, almost driving out the smell of George's smoked kippers. Best of all, the team was there to share the occasion.

The whole team, that is. Including Nola. And Ghostbuster.

Part of Nola's happiness stemmed from the fact that she'd spent the previous night back in Lockwood's bedroom. She did attempt to initially sleep in the attic as she did before, but her mind was still scarred from Agent Phillips' appearance. She padded down the staircase in the middle of the night after tossing and turning for hours, and Lockwood welcomed her with open arms.

Quill Kipps was at breakfast, too. While not himself a member of Lockwood & Co (which would, in his words, be a fate worse 'than being whipped naked across Wimbledon Common'), there was talk of him being a consultant who might be called in from time to time. He was with them that morning to discuss this, and also to celebrate their return to London. Eggs were being poached, bacon fried, and even Holly's super-healthy waffles glistened temptingly under oodles of honey and fresh butter. They all ate contentedly and well.