Chapter 11 - The True Enemy

"Mirror, do you have a name?"

The mirror shimmered in the setting sunlight flooding through the tall windows, almost turning its surface blind. "My Queen called me as her looking-glass upon the wall."

"That's not a name."

"It shall be, unless My Queen calls me differently."

Lucy glanced up from her exquisitely painted nails to shoot the mirror a skeptical look. "You know, you always act so demure but why can't I seem to buy it?"

There was no answer, so Lucy resumed admiring her servants' work. "Not having a name is sad, you shouldn't spin it as something admirable. Names are important."

"I may be whoever My Queen wishes me to be."

Lucy scoffed. "What if I want you to be 'Bob'? Or 'Mirror McSurface'?"

"As long as My Queen is pleased."

"I'm not pleased at all." Lucy leaned back in her plush chair, trying to banish the annoyance that had clung to her like a leech ever since Snow White had called her a 'madwoman' over breakfast. Was that really the extent of the girl's cruelness? Where was the Snow White from her dreams, the one that had happily watched Lucy's limbs be devoured by greedy flames? "Why isn't she more angry?"

"My Queen, Snow White is an embodiment of virtues. No matter the injustice heaped against her, she will not be the first to draw a sword. The only way to be rid of her is to trick her - let me show you how to brew -"

"Yes, that sounds like a fabulous plan. Let's poison the girl I just took back to the castle, no one will be suspicious. Should I maybe time it so it perfectly coincides with the king's return, and his first act can be to lob off my head?"

"Her presence here is a burden you choose to carry yourself."

"I thought it would work! I thought she would be a lot more decisive, in my dreams she was always so ..." terrifying.

"In your dreams she never stood alone."

So it was because Snow White had no backer that she failed to go after Lucy with more vengeance? But that was not a solution - it was like handing her a cleaver and then recommending a chopping block to go with it.

Lucy sighed, her head lolling, weighed down by the long waterfall of hair. "Why am I even here? I'm sure your Queen would know how to handle this better."

For one ludicrous second Lucy actually wished she could ask her for advice. A full-fledged villainess with crimes under her belt surely knew how to break this stalemate.

"You are needed. Though my Queen does her best to avoid nooses, she cannot escape the strings already leading her limbs, long fastened without her knowledge. Her actions will always be controlled by an outside force."

"An outside force ..."

Her thoughts turned slowly, like a heavy mill-grind fighting against its own weight.

"Is that what I am?" Lucy whispered. "An outside force? Is that why I'm here?"

There was a second of lingering silence as the light of the setting sun faded, elongating the shadows inside the room.

"As you are not part of the original tale, an outside force describes you quite sufficiently, wouldn't you agree ... Lucy?"

Lucy bolted upright, an electric shiver shooting down her spine. "What ... did you just call me?"

"I believe we were speaking of names and their importance. I crave only to follow your wishes, Lucy."

"Stop it." The words escaped before she could think them through. "I'm going to bed."