Chapter 8

Chapter Text
Another month goes by quicker than Midoriya anticipates. Midterms have come and gone, and now students are preparing for finals. In between though, Midoriya's life changed.

The day after Midoriya first went to Todoroki's house, the professor asked him to stay once more after class. Bakugou had stomped away, but Midoriya couldn't be bothered to care... he knew what this would be about.

"Here." Todoroki handed him an envelope, with Izuku Midoriya written in cursive across the front. "It's the check for your tuition. I trust you to do what you need to in regards to getting it to financial aid."

Midoriya nods. "Yes! I'm going to deposit it into my bank account and write a check in my name to give them." As he explained this, he pulled the check out to look at it, then gasped. "Pr-Professor, this is more than what I told you?!" His eyes were wide and wild as he stared at his teacher in shock. $7,000

"I know." Todoroki lifts his head high. "I want you to take the extra money and use it to buy the appropriate supplies you need for your classes, especially art." Midoriya took a step back a bit, surprised.

"H-How did you know I take art?" Todoroki's own eyes widened, before he coughed into his fist and stood from his desk and collected his things.

"I, uh, I wanted to confirm the amount you needed, so I checked your courses and saw that you were taking an art class." Todoroki avoided Midoriya's eyes at that point as he continued to get ready to leave.

"Teachers have access to that?" Midoriya tilted his head to the side.

"Yes, we do." Though Midoriya finds the response to be a bit strained, like he's holding something back. Todoroki finally looked at his student once his jacket was on and his briefcase was in his hand. "Anyway, I have to head to my other job now. But I will send you a message tonight about a schedule for you to come over."

He waited for Midoriya to agree before he took his leave, and Midoriya followed behind him just seconds later.

Since then, Midoriya was able to get all the newest supplies for his art course, and was still left with a good amount, wish he's keeping in his safe for the time being.

He also told his mom and Bakugou about what happened, bending the truth just a bit.

"So, I explained what was going on to Professor Todoroki and he suggested this program where I could write an essay and if chosen, a teacher would pay for the tuition."

He knew it sounded dumb and crazy and he was honestly terrified neither would believe him.

His mom seemed skeptical, but was overall grateful to hear that he was "chosen" so they no longer had to worry about paying for the rest of the semester. She also asked if it was something he could do for the spring, but Midoriya just shrugged with a light blush and said he'd figure that out after finals.

Bakugou was a bit more difficult, wondering why he'd never heard of it before, and why the office hadn't told him that from the beginning. Question after question, and Midoriya was getting more nervous, so close to cracking and just telling his best friend the truth. But, he didn't want to be judged. And then...

"Just be fucking honest with me, Deku." Bakugou's glare was harsh from Midoriya's desk as the two had been hanging out in his dorm room while Kirishima was in class. "Did that fucker give you the money?"

Midoriya felt himself tearing up as he looked at the duvet beneath him. Bakugou sighed and stood, moving in front of Midoriya, and waited for the freckled teen to look up again.

"I ain't gonna be mad. Just tell me what the fucks going on." Though his voice was still mean, there was an undertone softness that Midoriya's only heard a couple times.