the you i've always known

The air was heavy today.

Perhaps it was because of the swarm of clouds that seemed as if they'd combust with pellets of rain, or the mist enshrouding the schoolyard, leaving blurs of every object in sight.

Or maybe it was the horde of whispers ensuing after Aeum as she strode across the bleary grass field. She sat in her usual spot, a bleak and empty corner under a large oak tree that was far enough from the crowds of children sitting on the benches.

The damp and dewy grass was no match for Aeum as she always came prepared with a little blanket to sit on.

While everyone else sat on the benches laughing and gossiping while eating lunch, Aeum sat alone in the solace of her own company. She didn't care for who got together last Friday, or where to get the latest hanbok design from. She spent most of her time just thinking as the curiosity of her mind traveled beyond the realms of this simple town.

"There she is," a raven haired boy speculated, "She's sitting alone again. Why does she even bother coming?"

"Hyunjin what's wrong with you?" Another with blond streaks of hair punched his friend's shoulder lightly. "You should be cautious of what you say about others, especially if you don't know them."

"Oh come on, Chan, don't tell me you're not curious either," Hyunjin poked the side of his cheek with his tongue.

"Why don't you approach her yourself and ask if you're so interested," a devious voice said. His red locks and fringed bangs covered his eyes, his words softly wrapping around the air.

"Go take a hike Minho."

The three boys bickered on throughout their lunch break while Felix quietly finished the remaining of his food and stared out at the mysterious girl. "I could go talk to her," he said innocently.

"Felix, don't!" Chan panics.

"Why not, hyung?"

"I, uh, well..." he stutters as he tries to find a rationale that sounds reasonable enough. "You know how this town is and what they think of her and her family. Everyone will start whispers about you too if you engage with her. Just avoid the chaos and go on your way."

Felix tilted his head in confusion. Why should he care about what others thought of him? He doesn't even know half the people he goes to school with.

Alas, he always heeded his hyung and decided to stay away from the strange girl for now.
As everyone finished cleaning up and started to head back in for class, Felix looked back at the girl one more time only to find her looking back at him.

He stared. She stared. He curved his lips upward, raising his hand to wave, but stopped as he noticed the blank expression the girl gave him. She looked annoyed, as if she was praying for Felix to hurry up and just head inside.

Felix wasn't sure what he did, but decided that Chan was right after all.

Ignore her, she's a weirdo.

And for the next half of the year, that is exactly what he did.