love or money

Have you ever wondered what you would do with a blank cheque?

Jungkook has. He imagined all sorts of things, from travelling, to buying one or ten houses, to new clothes, gaming stations... all sorts of things. It had only somewhat recently occurred to him he might actually be faced with one, one day.

It turned out, today was the day.

"Here."

The woman thrusting said blank cheque at him was dressed in a classy navy blue dress, with cream heels, manicured hands and fingers adorned with gold bands and diamonds, pale lipstick, drawn on eyebrows, hair pulled back into a neat bun, and pearls around her neck.

He looked at the cheque, and then raised his eyebrow at her.

"Take what you want - as long as you break up with Taehyung," she said, with that air of superiority, looking down her nose at him in disgust. "You can have as much as you need to start a new life away from my son."

Jungkook stared at her for a moment, getting his thoughts in order. He licked his lips. "Let me get this straight: as long as I break up with Taehyung, and start a new life away from your family, I can write as much as I want - whatever figure comes to mind?"

She sneered at him. "That's right. Whatever you can dream, it won't even be a dent in our account. As long as you leave, you can have it."

Jungkook looked down at the cheque in his hands, and then smiled.

"You got yourself a deal."

*

Two million dollars richer, Jungkook left the bank with a feeling of giddy victory, and impending doom.

Depositing that much was not an easy process. He was forced to go through the bank manager and wait while they did all their confirmations. All the while they were looking at him with dubious eyes and judging gazes. He remained patient and unbothered by them, and merely grinned when Taehyung's mother sent him a text to confirm it was done. She couldn't leave off the reminder for him to get out of Taehyung's life, as expected. Jungkook snorted as he left the bank, reading it. It would take a few days for the money to fully transfer into his account considering the amount of money he'd decided on, so now all he had to do was wait.

But first he had someone to call.

And then he had someone to break up with.

*

As usual, Taehyung arrived home from work in the city centre at 6 p.m. Jungkook had prepared his favourites for dinner after returning from the bank. Maybe it was the guilt - because he'd also packed his and Taehyung's bags. The cases were in their bedroom. He greeted Taehyung with a passionate kiss that had him laughing in confusion, and a tight, lengthy hug.

As the night drew out, Jungkook;s nerves set in. He couldn't eat because of how much his stomach was churning. He feigned an ache, and smiled weakly at Taehyung's concern. After dinner was done, the dishes were washed, dried and put away, Jungkook spoke up.

He'd kept Taehyung, his boyfriend on two years, from going into their bedroom or bathroom to change or wash up, but there were no more excuses now.

"Tae? We need to talk."

*

Jungkook watched with a hollow heart and prickling eyes as Taehyung slammed his way through the apartment. He was sobbing, the noise piercing Jungkook's heart. He grabbed his bags with a bitter scoff, and left the place screaming that he hated him.

As he called Taehyung;s mother, Jungkook swallowed.

"It's done," he said hoarsely, emotion thick in his throat.