02. Return of help

❝ 𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑛𝑡𝑙𝑦 𝑓𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑖𝑛g 𝑡𝑜 𝑘𝑒𝑒𝑝 ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑑𝑎𝑟𝑘 𝑡ℎ𝑜𝑢𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑠 𝑎𝑡 𝑏𝑎𝑦 ❞

  𝕲ood morning, Madam Pomfrey. Could you get me a ointment, please ? asked Severina politely.

  The Hogwarts nurse squinted, looking for a wound that would require her precious ointment.

  For what wound, please, Miss Snape ? she asked. 

  An old wound. I bumped into a corner of a table at home. She replied, trying to look neutral. 

  Hmm. I hope it's not due to any new interaction with the Marauders.

  Severina suppressed an annoyed gesture at the mention of the group and simply waited for Madame Pomfrey to give her the ointment. She handed her a bottle containing a pasty beige preparation and quickly took it, heading for the exit of the infirmary.

  She had asked for the ointment to treat her bruised shoulder. During the last summer holidays, her father, in an excess of drunkenness and anger, had thrown her against a wall and since then she had not been able to move her arm without causing excruciating pain.

   Oh, isn't that Servila wandering the corridors ? remarked a voice. Severina recognised it immediately and quickened her pace. Only her pride prevented her from starting to run.

  Sirius, stop it. muttered Remus Lupin. The boy had brown hair and was thin and gaunt. Scars invisible to anyone who didn't look carefully ᅳ Severine looked carefully ᅳ streaked his face. He constantly looked tired.

  She took out her wand and turned round abruptly. Sirius Black, a mocking smile on his lips, was approaching nonchalantly. His black hair was cut short and his stormy grey eyes seemed to say I am above you pitiful little creatures. Rather tall, he was attractive.

  Don't come any closer ! she growled, pointing her magical weapon at the duo. 

  Besides, why so suspicious ? We just want to be nice, to keep our favourite bat company ! provoked Black.

  Severina gritted her teeth and looked for a way out. She had the two boys at gunpoint, of course, but she was alone against them and they knew her weaknesses perfectly well ᅳ even if it was likely that Lupin would only attack her if Black was in danger.

  Leave her alone. Someone ordered. Kerildee, wand raised, approached the group.

  Attacking us from behind, seriously, Servila ? You disappoint me. Black muttered in disappointment. 

  Attacking me two on one, seriously, Black, is that the best you've got ? she retorted. She had felt immense relief when the Travers heiress had come to her rescue.

  Now get out of here. Kerildee ordered, glancing at the Gryffindors. 

  Sirius apparently wanted to retort, but Remus stopped him and dragged him after him, giving the Slytherins an apologetic look.

  A silence fell between the two girls and Severine hesitated for a long moment before leaving.
  I. . . I paid my debt. Kerildee finally announced.

  It was not a debt. Just a help.

  No. Not for me, anyway. Well, anyway, hi. She greeted.

  No ! Thank... Thank you. She stammered.

  Kerildee shrugged.

  It's nothing. Nothing but a simple exchange of services, a return of help.

  Now, wait a minute. You wouldn't want us to... ? Help each other ? With nothing in return, no help, no debt ?

  The idea had suddenly sprung into her head and she had immediately let it go for fear of seeing it slip away. This impulsiveness, usually typical of Gryffindors, didn't have time to make her wince because Kerildee let out a scornful laugh.

  Snape. ... I didn't think you were that naive : you're a Slytherin, though. You should know better than anyone that agreements between impure and pure bloods within our house are impossible, even forbidden. This exchange must remain secret. 

  Kerildee was one of those rare people who assumed out loud that the Slytherins established a hierarchy between students. Severine felt stupid for having hoped.

 ᅳ Ah. Sorry, I don't know what was going through my head. Goodbye, then.

  Farewell. replied Kerildee in an even tone.

◤✞ 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝖒𝖚𝖘𝖎𝖈 𝖆𝖇𝖔𝖛𝖊 𝖎𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖔𝖓𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖎𝖓𝖘𝖕𝖎𝖗𝖊𝖉 𝖒𝖊, 𝖆𝖘 𝖜𝖊𝖑𝖑 𝖆𝖘 𝖔𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖗𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖜𝖎𝖑𝖑 𝖇𝖊 𝖕𝖑𝖆𝖈𝖊𝖉 𝖎𝖓 𝖋𝖚𝖙𝖚𝖗𝖊 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗𝖘. 𝕿𝖍𝖊𝖞 𝖗𝖊𝖕𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖊𝖓𝖙 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖙𝖊 𝖔𝖋 𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖉 𝖔𝖋 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖗𝖆𝖈𝖙𝖊𝖗𝖘. ✞◥