Chapter 3: The Promise

As he prepared to lay the child down, something unexpected happened

As he prepared to lay the child down, something unexpected happened. The child stirred and spoke, her voice was weak yet filled with life.

"What are you going to do to me?" she asked, her words carrying a mix of curiosity and trepidation.

Overwhelmed and disoriented by his own pain and stress, the shaman responded without realizing she was still alive.

"I will bury you... take you to a nice place," he said, his voice quivering as tears continued to flow down his cheeks.

The child, her voice tinged with confusion, softly uttered, "But I'm still alive."

Realization washed over the shaman, freezing him in his tracks. He stood there, his mind racing, trying to comprehend what had just occurred. In a moment of fear and confusion, he began to laugh, a raw and almost manic release of emotions. Through his tears, he thanked the child for defying the odds, for surviving the pain she had endured.

He made a vow, his voice filled with determination, "I promise, I will protect you with all that I have until my dying breath."

As if in response to their solemn pact, the midnight candy, a symbol of resilience and rebirth, bloomed near them, casting a soft glow upon their surroundings.

With a newfound sense of happiness and relief, the shaman guided the child to his home, a weathered and dilapidated house that appeared as though it had been standing for a century. The talismans hanging from its exterior gave an eerie and unsettling atmosphere, even more so than the house itself.

Located at the edge of town, where the thick fog lingered, it was a place few dared to venture. Yet the shaman navigated through the fog with ease, as if the path was imprinted in his memory.

As they approached the door, the shaman opened it softly, inviting the child to step inside. Reluctant at first, she cautiously entered. However, her initial hesitation quickly turned to shock as her eyes widened.