Chapter 13 - Corresponding Powers

☾𖧷☽

Two hours have passed since Alyssa and Kendra met, and during that time, some other people decided to enter the room

Two hours have passed since Alyssa and Kendra met, and during that time, some other people decided to enter the room. Wanda and Pietro were working out with the gym equipment; Wanda way more hesitantly than her brother. Steve and Thor were taking turns in sparring, and Clint was at the shooting range. Alyssa was glad that the archer finally came out of his room.

Of course everyone had also taken notice of Kendra and they introduced themselves, Thor being very cheerful as he thought she reminded him of his mother. And Steve had apparently taken a liking to her as well; Alyssa could practically sense his heart eyes from across the room.

Right now, the two girls were still situated on the beige training mat in the middle of the room, sitting in front of each other as they were taking a break from training. The training wasn't physical; instead, Kendra started teaching Alyssa the strength of the mind. With her powers, stated the Australian, Alyssa had to handle her emotions correctly in order not to flare out. Only if she figured out a rhythm, would Kendra proceed with physical training.

"But how do I keep up mental walls? It's not like they're really there." said Alyssa, taking a sip of water.

"But they are. And you'll learn how to exactly focus your emotion into your powers." Kendra replied, leaning back on her arms. Alyssa watched her, biting back the question which lingered on her tongue since they met.

"Come on, let's continue. You're doing great." Kendra smiled, reclaiming her position with her legs crossed. Alyssa didn't move, however, her brows furrowing as she looked at her teacher.

Kendra's smile faded, and she tilted her head in question. "Everything alright?"

"What can you do? I mean, what are your powers? And what do you know about mine?" Alyssa asked, being quick and blunt with her question, which apparently caught Kendra off guard. "You want me to channel my emotions? Well, I can't exactly do that if I don't even know what for"

Kendra bit the inside of her cheek, playing with her shoelaces as she looked at the ground. Then she shook her head, sitting up straight as she looked at Alyssa. "You know what, you're right. I shouldn't have jumped right in."

Alyssa smiled slightly, letting her know that it's okay. But she still wanted answers.

"I can... well, I can manipulate blood. It's actually kinda gruesome but it means I can do basically anything to the human body. Or living beings in general." Kendra responded. She pointed at Wanda before continuing. "Your friend over there? Wanda? I read her file. She can manipulate the mind. And you... well, you can manipulate the soul."

The soul?

Alyssa's brows creased, confusion edging itself onto her face. At her silence, Kendra continued to speak softly.

She sighed softly, scooting a little bit closer. "Alyssa... ten years ago, I was called by your father. I just turned twenty and had a great job as a biochemist. As a scientist, I... had my doubts when people asked me if the soul existed. But then Tony contacted me, said I was the best he thought there was, and I read into your situation. I researched what HYDRA did to you, the pills, and it... let's just say my doubts quickly left." she said, her expression tinted with wonder and sadness.

Alyssa's eyes were wide and she listened quietly as Kendra continued. "Alyssa, you can connect with life itself. Make it grow, make it bloom. That's why it's good that I train you. Our powers correspond; Me with the body, you with the spirit." her voice grew quieter as she looked at her hands. "And... I know what it's like to hurt people without wanting to. Just like you, I flared when I was younger."

Kendra paused for a moment before talking again. "Your pain can bleed, Alyssa. Onto other people, and onto yourself. You need to understand that it's not your fault but you still need to learn some things."

Alyssa looked at her hands, trying not to let her hot tears flow. "So my dad was right to give me those pills. I'm dangerous."

Kendra grabbed Alyssa's hand gently, whispering the last of her words. "He was right to ease your pain. But in my opinion, he was wrong to make you forget. And I will make sure to answer all the questions you have, Alyssa."

Alyssa sniffed once, finding comfort in the older woman's empathy. "You can call me Ally."

Kendra smiled, scooting back again and giving Alyssa some space. "Let's stop for now. Relax and meditate a little more, okay? I'll meet you back here in an hour." she said in a friendly tone. Alyssa nodded in agreement, her tears receding as she watched Kendra stand up, grabbing her bag as she headed for the back exit. On her way out she passed Steve and Thor, winking at the super soldier, whose cheeks blushed a deep pink in return.

Alyssa chuckled, watching as Steve's stance weakened for just a moment, giving Thor the opportunity to land a strong blow to his stomach.

Ouch.

Alyssa took her eyes off the ring when she noticed Pietro approaching her, and she struggled to look at his face as he wiped off some sweat from his forehead with the hem of his shirt, briefly revealing his abs.

"How's it going, принцесса?" he asked, sitting down in front of her with a dramatic groan.

"Fine. Learned something new. Apparently, I can control someone's soul." Alyssa sighed, relaxing as she sat back on her arms.

"The soul? Your teacher isn't a shaman or anything like that, right?" he asked, a smile playing on his lips.

Alyssa laughed, shaking her head.

Her laugh is so pretty...

"No, she's legit." she responded, smiling back. "Also, she's clearly got a thing for Steve. And believe me, he's got a thing for her too."

"The captain? Oh yeah, I could practically feel him checking her out." Pietro said.

"That's what I thought!" Alyssa laughed.

Pietro chuckled, running a hand through his hair. "Speaking of, I think my sister's got a crush on the red guy."

"Vision? No way. Wouldn't that... be a felony if your sister liked Vision? I mean, technically, he's only like a day old." Alyssa grinned, leaning forward a bit.

At that Pietro laughed out loud, leaning forward as well, both of them subconsciously moving towards one another. They continued talking for a while, both of them enjoying the short moment of peace. After a while, they decided to get some food and they took Wanda with them as they walked to the kitchen.

They got protein bars and some fruit, making themselves plates as they sat down together at the kitchen island.

Wanda, how Alyssa found out, was actually the sweetest person, and profusely apologized for how they acted before. They talked for a while, and when Alyssa noticed it was time to meet Kendra again, Wanda and Pietro offered to walk her back to the training area.

What Alyssa didn't notice, however, was the smirk and the suggestive eyebrow Wanda gave her brother after she caught him staring at the other girl for just a moment too long.