The Past

Once Mia had taken Onyx back to the stable and settled him. She quietly slipped out the door, creeping across the lawn towards the driveway. She didn't want to be seen by the Walkers. She wanted to be alone. She carefully got into her car, noticing that Cordell wasn't home yet, which was surprising. As she pulled out of the driveway onto the road, she noticed that Cordey was just pulling in and like that, she was caught. Not that she had to go back to the ranch. But the chances were that Cordey, Hoyt, or Liam would try to find her at some point that night.

She drove back to her apartment in central Austin in complete silence. Even music seemed to be annoying her this evening. She pulled into the parking space outside her apartment with a sigh. She didn't often stay at the apartment, especially when Booth was here. So, it was a reminder of his absence. She locked the Mustang before walking up to the main door of the building using her key to let herself in. As she walked up the stairs to her apartment, she could hear the neighbours arguing like usual, meaning it could be a very long night for Mia.

As she opened the door to her apartment, she sighed. It didn't feel like home anymore. The ranch was home. Seeley's house was home. Even the collapsed house her dad abandoned her in was more like home. While she was looking around the kitchen/living room, her phone began ringing. She didn't check the number since she assumed it would be Liam, Abneline, Cordey, Stella, Austin, Hoyt, or Seeley.

'Hello' She said down the line, expecting a familiar voice, but the one that answered was one she never thought she'd hear again.

'Hi baby' the voice said, causing chills down Mia's spine.

'Daddy?' she asked, knowing it really was Max Keenan but still wanting confirmation. She hadn't heard from him in 6 months.

'Yeah baby, it's me' Max replied 'How are you doing?' he asked. Out of all his children, Mia was the only one he spoke to regularly. He was pretty sure she was the only one who knew he was alive.

'I'm good' she replied, sighing and wishing he was a better father.  'Seeley just left' she said sadly, knowing it would make Max feel guilty for not being there. In some ways, Mia was very similar to her father, and manipulation was one of the things she inherited.

'I'm sorry' Max said, feeling anything but sorry. He didn't like his daughter being so close to Seeley Booth, especially since when he last researched Temperance, she too was close to Agent Booth. He felt that the net was closing in on him, and Mia and Tempy would be there when it finally snapped shut.

'Dad Seeley found Joy' Mia said, knowing it would shake him but wondering if it would make him resurface.

'That doesn't surprise me' Max said. 'He seems to like being involved with my daughters. Be careful, honey

'Why, dad?' Mia asked, hoping her father would confess to something, but he didn't.

'I have to go but I'll ring you as soon as I can' Max said 'I love you Mia' before the phone line went dead not even leaving enough time for Mia to reply.

"I love you too, Daddy," she whispered to herself. 

After that wonderful conversation, she headed to the bathroom. She quickly texted Seeley, letting him know about the conversation with Max and that she was at her apartment and safe.

As she stepped into the shower, she felt like the world around her had shifted. For the first time in years, she was afraid for her life. But not just hers, the Walker's, Hoyt's, and Seeley's as well as her sister's life. What would Max do now he knew Seeley knew both Joy and her?

She was determined tonight to find those stupid memories that had been evading her for the past 15 years. She needed to know, and it was urgent now. To hell with what, Dr. Gordon said. It was important and life-saving now. The water washed over her head, burning her skin while her mind was pulling at the edges of her memories. Behind one of these happy childhood memories was the truth. Her siblings. To her, the trip from DC to Texas was a happy family road trip with her, mum, and dad, but now, as she was digging, she could see Joy and Kyle waving them off. She could see their faces so clearly. She could remember them playing together in the yard. Eating meals together. Having birthday parties. As her head was swimming, her body was failing. She was so deep in her memories that she didn't notice herself falling.

Mia's head was filled with memories. All the things her conscious had locked away to keep her safe. Meanwhile, Cordell was breaking his way through the door. He had knocked for at least five minutes, and she had not answered. He could hear the shower. He could remember what Booth had told him about Mia pulling at her memories to find answers. He knew what happened last time, and he couldn't risk Mia dying while he was the one who was supposed to be responsible for her safety since Booth was away.

As he made it through the door, he ran to the bathroom, finding Mia collapsed in the shower. He carefully opened the shower door, turned off the shower and picked her up, wrapping her in a towel. He knew she wouldn't have any food since she barely stayed here. He carefully placed her on the bed as Hoyt walked in with a glass of water. They both knew what they'd be walking into and exactly what to do. They had been dealing with it since she was 12, and now the 27-year-old lying in front of them looked exactly like the little girl Abeline pulled out of the shower the first time.

Cordell carefully searched the room for some clothes to put Mia in before they took her back to the ranch for the night. There was no way she could persuade them to leave her here. Hoyt sat holding Mia, rocking her gently as if she was a baby. He knew she might come round and attack him, but he didn't know what else to do other than sing Elvis songs to her. They each had their own way so she'd know it was them, and this was Hoyt's way.

Within minutes, Cordell reappeared with what looked like one of Seeley's t-shirts and a pair of yoga pants. If you have ever tried to dress an unconscious person, you would know exactly how hard it is, but Hoyt and Cordell managed it. Their concern was growing now since Mia was still out cold.

After about five minutes, Mia's eyes shot open. She sat bolt upright. She couldn't hear Hoyt or Cordey trying to talk to her. She grabbed for where her gun should have been and then growled. Booth had taken it. Defeated, she flopped back against Hoyt.

"You're safe" Cordell whispered to her "Let's get you home" he finished before gently picking her up from Hoyt's lap. Whatever had just happened could wait at least until they could contact Seeley in the hope he would know what caused it. Cordell carried her out to Hoyt's truck, which was parked behind her Mustang. He carefully slipped her into the backseat, sitting next to her.