Chapter 1: Sean

3 weeks prior to Sandra's 20th anniversary

I am finally home. After 6 years of going back and forth to finish off my bachelor's and master's, I am settling down in Seoul, South Korea. How I miss the sound of wind chimes.

"Mum! I'm back!"

"My sweet daughter! Congrats my dearest star. I have been missing the lullabies. Now, I am sure I will sleep soundly again." My mum pulled me into a tight hug and I could feel my eyes watering.

I realise how long I've been gone, and to have left my mum alone at home was a selfish thing to have done. She has lost some weight and new wrinkles had formed on the corners of her eyes.

"Your grandparents are waiting inside with your uncles and cousins. Sally and Alice will be a bit late."

"Does she not miss her oldest niece? I must not have been calling enough."

"You know your aunt loves you the most. Sometimes even more than her own daughter." She walks faster, going upstairs.

"Of course. That brat needs some scolding from me. She has too much time on her hands these days."

"Who has too much time on her hands?" a familiar voice meets me in the hallway.

"My dearest cousin! You've grown much taller, but you still wander around living up to your name, Alice."

"I just don't have a clear plan like yours. It's not every day that girls like us get the chance to actually dream."

"And you should take the chance! Your mum is not young anymore. What if she pushes you to marry?"

"How about you? You're older than me."

"You brat! You know my mum does not care, so why should you?"

"Just saying... my unnie needs someone in her life. I don't want you to be like imo."

"I know... but love is not my priority." I replied.

Whenever I think of mum, I feel grateful for all that she has done. Her stepping in for my real mother is the most selfless thing she has done. Which is why I want everyone to be aware of my true identity. I want to give my mum a second chance to find love. Once I reveal my identity as Sandra Park's daughter, mum will not have to go through the judgemental looks from others as a single parent. It may be 20 years too late, but I finally have the courage to do it.

We all sat down at the dining table waiting for my grandparents. Grandpa sat down at the head of the table, on his left hand side was Grandma. Uncle River was next to Grandma and his wife, Aunt Amber, followed by his daughters, Jessica and Krystal, and son, Jacob. On Grandpa's right hand side was mum and then Aunt Sally. Alice and I seated ourselves in between our mums. My grandparents always thought of Mum as their own. When her parents no longer wanted to talk to her, they stepped in and took her in as their second eldest child. They even wanted to announce to the public of her new status, as well as mine, but she refused saying that she doesn't deserve it, and that she also wanted to keep Mother's wishes to keep my identity secret.

"My little bird... I am so happy that you are back." My grandma said.

"Yes, Halmeoni. I am done with school and will be back for good."

"That's great! Your mum here has not been listening to me. She doesn't eat on time."

"Why don't you scold her? She's your daughter after all."

"My daughter will not listen to me. But she loves listening to her daughter."

"Daughter my ass." We heard a little whisper from Aunt Amber.

"Eh he. Myeoneuri. What are you trying to say?" My grandma called her out.

"I mean Hyungnim would be sad to hear what you just said. Her mum calls her friend her daughter, and her daughter calls her friend her mum. It's almost her death anniversary and no one seems to care for her." Aunt Amber was somewhat more vocal than usual.

"Is that what you think? Tiffany is as much as a daughter to me as Sandra is. And she is as much as a mum to Roseanne as Sandra is."

"It's ok Mum. Amber is right. You may see me as your daughter, but I cannot replace Sandra."

"River. You should tell your wife to keep her thoughts to herself." My grandpa finally spoke.

"Yes, dad." Uncle River turned to his wife, "Noona is family. Don't say upsetting things like this in the future."

"Yeah. Olke must be getting old. You've been in this family long enough to know that Unnie is a part of it too. She was here before you arrived. You should treat her the same way you treat me." Aunt Sally looked towards Aunt Amber, who was no longer speaking.

I thought this was my chance, so I spoke. "Right, I have something to tell you guys. Since I am back, I thought I should do something for Mother's anniversary. I think I am ready to tell everyone that she is my mother. And what can she say? It's not like she can shout at me or anything. Besides I am old enough to make my own decisions."

"Are you sure? You don't know how people would react. And are you going to throw your mum aside?" Grandpa asked me.

"It's ok Dad. I'm sure Sean thought hard about it." Mum spoke defending me.

"It's not like I'm throwing away Mum. She will always be my mum, that's the truth. It's just that I have been hiding from my identity as Mother's daughter for all my life. Didn't you want me to reveal my identity before?" I asked my grandpa.

"Yes we did. I'm just saying that you don't have to do everything we want you to."

"Well. I want to. What will you say when I step up as the new director of Park Entertainment? They will ask who I am. Am I the illegitimate child of the family? Am I just some random kid? Who are my parents? And I just want Mum to finally be able to find someone to spend the rest of her life with." I looked deeply in the eyes of my mum.

"Ok fine. Do as you want. You will be organising it anyways." Grandpa gave in and the rest of the time was silence.