epilogue

You made your way out to your apartment balcony, carefully maneuvering the tight space as you carried two plates filled with sandwiches and cups of soup. Druig was already sitting at the patio table. He'd been sitting there for a while scrolling on his new cellphone (or "cellular device," if you asked him about it).

You two had made a pitstop on your travels to see a few of the Eternals and Sersi had insisted on keeping in touch the modern way. She shoved a phone into Druig's hands and, despite his protests, he quickly became fascinated with the technology. It was still a very funny sight to you. You were quite relieved you find you weren't missing your phone, though.

"Do you have time to take a break from your phone for lunch?" You playfully asked as you placed a plate of food in front of your soulmate. He smirked and rolled his eyes before placing the phone on the table.

"I was reading about a farmer's market that's going to be not too far from here tomorrow," he explained. "We should check it out."

"Sounds nice," you replied and swirled your spoon around your serving of soup. It was evident that Druig missed the routine and community of the village. You noticed this pretty quickly after moving in together. He focused on very specific parts of living, such as cooking with particular organic vegetables. He was also very strict about security in your apartment. You never missed the protective eye he kept on, well, everything.

Living together like this was certainly an adjustment. Even though it wasn't the first time you two had shared the same home, it felt very different now. You were coming together in one household on almost completely different terms. There was a willingness and dedication to this life that hadn't felt as real or tangible in the village.

The place you lived in also felt very bizarre. It was a one-bedroom, cozy flat near the city but not in the heart of it. It screamed prime real estate to you. A place like this in New York would be mind-blowing. You didn't know how Druig was able to obtain this flat but you also didn't want to ask too many questions. All of the Eternals seemed to manage their livings on their own with ease and you would just go along with it for him.

"Are you okay, darling?" Druig asked, pulling you out of your wandering mind.

You nodded and took a bite of your sandwich. "That farmer's market sounds really great. Hopefully, their growing standards live up to your demands," you joked.

"I'm sorry for thinking we should eat well," he replied, making your joking tone. "Perhaps that diner you took me to traumatized me."

You gasped. "You certainly weren't complaining at the time."

He smirked. "I finally had you back. I was a little distracted, I wasn't thinking clearly."

Your heart suddenly felt like it was mush in your chest. You didn't know how he constantly managed to do that to you. It never felt like it would fizzle.

"There's no need to woo me," you muttered as you felt your face get warm. "You already have me here."

"But that's where you're wrong. Because you're here, I get to woo you every day, for as long as this world allows."

Now your stomach felt like mush. You had to force yourself to look away or else you would completely crumble under Druig's gaze.

"An art gallery a few streets over is looking for an intern. I was considering applying," you said, changing the subject. You had to shift it—he could go on forever working you up.

Druig smiled at your admission. "That sounds wonderful."

"Yeah?" You sighed. "Do you really think so? I wasn't totally sure, my creativity has been lacking for a while. I... I haven't done much of anything creative since the village. I never got to finish the blanket." It was such an insignificant part of the village but its loss didn't get past you. You had remembered that first spark that it ignited in you, that moment you wondered if you were right where you needed to be. It felt so silly to admit, so silly to have a knitted blanket hold so much weight, but its loss could've foretold so much.

"I'll get you all the yarn you want," Druig responded with no hesitation. "You'll get to make a hundred blankets. You can fill the entire flat with them."

You couldn't help but laugh at his enthusiasm. "I make traditional art, too."

"Any materials you need, consider it done," he replied. "Do you want a studio? We could rent a studio."

You quickly shook your head, trying to get him to slow down. His tendency to come on strong and eager had yet to fully fade, but you were starting to think it never would.

"Let me start with the blanket and internship," you said. "Maybe I'll get some paint sets as well. We can talk studios...at a later date."

"Sorry," he sighed. "I just want you to have everything. I... I don't want you to regret this, not even for a second. I never want any more worries or fears running through your head."

You gave him a sympathetic smile and placed your hand on his where it rested on the table. You noticed he hadn't touched much of his food, a seemingly uncommon occurrence for him.

"You can't stop me from worrying, but I can assure you that, right here, right now, I'm very pleased with where I am in life. I'm happy in this apartment and I'm glad you're the one I'm sharing it with."

You swore you heard Druig let out a sigh of relief but you ignored it.

"I think that's all I've ever wanted to hear," he muttered. "I'm happy as well."

"Thank gosh," you said as a smile you couldn't contain spread its way onto your lips. "Now, we should finish our lunch. I believe I was promised yarn."

"Anything for you, my beautiful, beautiful soulmate."