Chapter 2: 《Ahoy, Ladies!》

☆Scoops Ahoy,
June 28th, 1985☆

"If anybody hears about this -" Steve begins as he lets the kids through the back door. "We're dead!" They yell back as they walk away from him. He rolls his eyes as he closes the door, letting out a big sigh.

All of a sudden, Johanna runs into the shop. "I'm here! I'm here!" She huffs out of breath. "You're late again, Henderson," Steve says with a hint of annoyance in his voice.

"I know, I know, and I'm really sorry. I just lost track of time and..." Johanna starts to explain herself when all of a sudden the power goes out. The entire mall goes dark.

"What the hell?" Johanna jumps a little startled from the sudden black out. "That's weird," Steve said, walking over to the light switch. He starts to flick it up and down.

"That isn't gonna work, Dingus." Robin tilts her head a bit, watching Steve continue. "Oh, really?" He says as he starts flicking the switch even faster. "You're such and Idiot Harrington," Johanna chuckles.

After about a minute of Steve's shenanigans, the lights turn back on. "Let there be light!" Steve declares with a smug look on his face. Johanna and Robin look at each other, rolling their eyes as they start to serve customers.

An hour passes, and the shop finally dies down so Steve, Robin, and Johanna go into the back room. "So now, can you tell us why you were late today?" Steve crosses his arms, looking at Johanna with a stern look on his face.

"Sorry, Mom," she scoffs, causing Robin to let out a slight chuckle. "I just lost track of time because my mom and I were eating together and talking about Dustin coming home." She shrugs

"Dustin's coming home from camp! When?" Steve sounded excited now.

"Tomorrow," Johanna chuckled.

...

☆Hawkins Indiana,
June 29th, 1985☆

"This is Gold Leader, returning to base. Do you copy? Over." Dustin spoke into his walkie-talkie as Claudia drove him home. There was no answer.

"This is Gold Leader, returning to base, Do you copy? Over." He says again. Still no answer, "I repeat, This is Gold Leader returning to base. Do you copy? Over." Still nothing.

"I repeat, this is goddam Gold Leader!" Dustin yells into the radio. "Dusty!" Claudia scolds him. "What?" Dustin murmured

"Relax! For goodness' sake, " Claudia tries to calm Dustin down. "I'm in range. They should be answering!" Dustin crosses his arms.

"You've been away a whole month, honeybun. Maybe they just... forgot." Claudia sighs

...

☆Scoops Ahoy,
June 29th, 1985☆

"Alrighty, one scoop of chocolate. That's a buck-twenty-five. Anything else? " Steve smiled at the girl who shook her head no. "Ohh, Purdue. Fancy" Steve tries to make small talk as he notices her college shirt.

"Yeah, I'm excited," the girl chuckles. "Yeah, you know, I consider it, Purdue, but then I was like, you know what? I think I need some real-life experience, you know. Before I hit college, see what it feels like. " Steve kept rambling on as the girl stood there, looked at Steve like he was a headless chicken.

"Kinda like, uh, I don't know, see what it's like to earn a working-man's wage you know?" Steve kept talking as the register beeped. "Oh, I'm sorry" he said awkwardly as he forgot to get her change yet he continued to talk not picking up on the girls signals.

"Yeah, anyway, this was, like, so fun. We should kind of like you know, I don't, maybe hang out this weekend or..." He completely drops the coins. Johanna was scooping ice cream next to him trying not to laugh because of his terrible flirting.

"Oh, sorry about that, uh... I don't know maybe next weekend or..." Steve continues before the girl completely shuts him down "Yeah, I'm busy." She say clearly uncomfortable.

"Oh that's cool I'm... I'm working here next weekend, so... the following weekend's better for me" Steve still tries to score a date a fails miserably "no. I'm sorry. I can't" she say before quickly walking off.

"I... this is my first day here." Steve sighs in defeat

"And another one bites the dust." Robin chimes in showing off her You Rule, You Suck board. "My God Harrington that was very painful to watch" Johanna smirks. "You are oh-for-six popeye." Robin continues.

"Yeah, yeah I can count." Steve say with an attitude. "You know that means you suck!" Robin giggles

"Yep I can read, too" Steve rolls his eyes. "Since when" Johanna laughs. "No no no your not gonna start agreeing with her" he say pointing at Johanna. Johanna just puts her arms in the air like she surrendering, with a smirk still plastered on her face.

"It's this stupid hat. I am telling you, it is blowing my best feature." Steve huffs. "Yeah company policy is a real drag. You know, it's a crazy idea , but have you considered... telling the truth?" Robin suggests

"Yeah Steve girls like men who are honest" Johanna chimed in. Steve rolls his eyes "Oh you mean, that I couldn't even get into tech and my douchebag dad's trying to teach me a lesson, I make three bucks and hour and I have no future? That truth?"

Johanna looks sympathetic for a second until Robin quickly butts in "Hey, twelve o'clock" she points to some girls walking in.

"Oh shit. Oh shit. Okay... uh... I'm going in okay?" Steve says a little nervous. Johanna gives him a thumbs up. "And you know what... screw company policy" Steve smirks throwing his Ahoy hat off. Johanna let out a sarcastic loud gasp and Robin chuckles "Oh my God your a whole new man!"

Steve then turns around quickly "Ahoy, Ladies! Didn't see you there." He says very loud almost startling the girls at the front counter. "Would you like to set sail on this ocean of flavor with me? I'll be your captain. I'm Steve Harrington" Steve winks.

Johanna giggles as she watches Robin walk over to the board and put another tally mark under the You Suck column. And Steve just kept talking...

"Can I get you guys a little taste of the Cherries Jubilee? No? Anybody? Banana Boat? Four people, four spoons? Share in a booth? Anybody? It's hot out there." Steve continued as the three girls just stared at him looking weirded out

Robin gives Steve a disgusted look and turns to Johanna as she adds another tally on the you suck  side of the board, which gets a laugh from Johanna.

...
1098 words