Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two

Monday morning, Vidhi woke up to find the house silent and empty, and her father's bed made. He was up early-or rather, she was up late, and had somehow driven him to make his own bed. Feeling a tinge of guilt, she went downstairs to see if he was in the living room, but he wasn't. Vidhi frowned. Where was he? He wasn't in his room, neither on the sofa... then she heard the sound of laughter from outside, and her head whipped towards the window, looking out at the two figures. She blinked, going over to see who the other person was. She couldn't recognize him.

Her father, unlike his usual, grave self, looked younger and fresher. He was talking to the stranger, and helping him plant a sapling. Unbelievable, Vidhi thought to herself. A few days ago, he'd felt weak and sickly. Now he was laughing and gardening again. She pushed back from the window and went out to the garden to see what was going on. However, the moment she stepped out of the door, a loud 'woof!' greeted her, making her jump. Vidhi hurried back inside, peering at the huge dog that was squatting by her front door, and her brows pulled together.

The men turned, seeing her, and her father gave her a beaming smile. "Ah. You're up, finally."

But it wasn't her father she was glaring at-it was his companion. The man seemed to be her age, in his early thirties. She could tell by the receding hairline and the few wrinkles around his eyes and mouth. He was standing by her father, hands shoved into the pockets of his faded jeans, a streak of mud on his cheeks, as he regarded her with a hint of amusement.

"What is a dog doing outside my front door?" she demanded. Although, she was sure she didn't sound intimidating. She was still inside, nervous of the said dog that was still glaring at her.

"That's Tiny," the man said, nodding towards the dog. It must have been at least half her size and twice her width.

"Tiny?" Vidhi repeated, taking another look at the snarling dog. He was anything but. Flipping her hair back, she turned to the man. "Whatever," she said, annoyed. "Who are you?"

"I'm your father's new employee."

"What?!"

Her father coughed, drawing her attention. "Sorry, I forgot to mention last night. I've hired this man here."

Vidhi blinked, staring at the two of them. "For what?"

"Oh, you know. Just to help me walk around the house, check my medicines, garden, that kind of work."

"Dad, I don't think we need..."

"Woof!" Tiny barked as she stepped outside, growling and snarling at her as she drew back.

"Down, Tiny!" the man said, and the dog turned to his master, immediately going down, plopping his backside on the grass.

Vidhi risked one step outside. When the dog didn't bark again (although he still seemed to be glaring at her), she took in a deep breath and focused on not rousing him again. Okay, she thought to herself. This had to be the strangest morning in the history of all strange mornings. Since when did her father need help around the house? She did that work, not someone else. When she finally reached her father, she squared her shoulders and said, "I don't think we need help around the house."

He looked surprised. "Don't you? Well, it's impossible for you to keep looking after me all the time. And what with the whole office thing..." Vidhi coughed, trying to prevent him from saying more, but he went on. "... and you getting so little opportunity to be away from home and me, I thought it was time I gave you a little break from your responsibilities."