Ignitition | 2

2402 words. Proofread. Enjoy!

It had been just over 2 weeks since I had joined the football team at Yokohama High for the Sciences, but I had already become one of, if not the leading figure in practices despite being outweighed and matched in muscle as well as 1 to 2 years younger than all of my other football colleagues. We met every other day after school at the field to practice, and it was just a few hours and a night away until our first game. I said bye to all of my football mates and ran home, excited for the game tomorrow. Maybe this would be the thing to break the monotony of everyday life. I bounced around the house in anticipation, shoveling down my dinner and brushing my teeth, showering, and washing my face in record time, then jumping into bed. You would think that I would be so excited that I wouldn't be able to sleep but nope, I fell asleep immediately comforted by the calming symphonies of Bach playing on my speakers.

The next day, I arrived at the football locker room at 6:42 AM. While I may have been able to fall asleep peacefully, I woke up incredibly excited to the point where I couldn't sleep after 5 AM. I hopped from one foot to the other as I changed into my uniform with my number, 13 and Y/N written on it in bold gold letters and a blue background around it, those 2 colors being the school colors. I looked around and saw the sun just past sunrise as its rosy light changed slowly into a gleaming, yellow light brightening the sky slowly but surely. I glanced around once more and saw through the corner of my eye the captain, who I came to know as Makoto Kagaya, walking slowly to the lockers.

I opened the door, welcoming him in and said, "Hiya cap'n, got a game plan for us yet? I'm not that great at this stuff so lets just play."

He nodded, and then let down his large canvas bag on the benches within the room. He pulled out his papers, and replied, "yes, I do have a plan. We will annihilate them! Just trust in my plan, between the 2 of us, I firmly believe we can easily destroy Yoko-Talent High. Follow me onto the field, we can get a last few hours of practice and go over our plays. Y/N, you're playing as a right bound midfielder this time, and I'll take the center forward." I followed him onto the field, already contemplating ways of linking up. The sun's dazzling rays were at full bloom now as it rose to an incredibly bright position with it now being just past 7:30 after all the waiting and our short conversation.

Makoto then went to right side bench and laid out his diagrams, detailed well and astute in every way. I quickly recognized my position, but I was immediately dismayed to see that it wasn't too active in the attack, rather being more defensive to patch up the holes as the right full back. "Sorry Y/N, but these are the plays hat brought us to nationals last year, and they're the ones we're keeping. Link up and defend with the rest of the team. You were only roughly patched in, but keep playing brilliantly and we'll do great!" He said that last sentence with a thumbs up, and I look at him in disbelief, up and down, from his shining brown hair to his muscular body.

"Are you kidding me? I'm the best offensive player we've got and you want me on DEFENSE OF ALL THINGS? WHAT THE HELL? I DIDN'T JOIN THE TEAM FOR THIS!" I end in a shout of anger, clearly annoyed.

"I know you're unhappy with this, but it's what has to be done. Deal with it or you're not even playing. I know you're solid on offense, but I believe you can do well on defense as well."

"Pchht." I spit at the ground. "Fine. I'll play along. But remember, you fall behind and I don't give a damn about my position, and I'm coming on the offensive."

"Glad to see we reached a compromise, just play well and we'll be fine." He pats my shoulder as he passes me again, greeting the other team members that arrived.

"Hey! Glad to see you 2 are both playing!"

"Salutations teammates. Lets win this."

"When's the game again?"