02. darkness bound

✩✩✩

"𝘛𝘰 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘥 𝘶𝘯𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴, 𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘦𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘦𝘢, 𝘐 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘥𝘢𝘳𝘬𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥"

✩✩✩

       "Oh, Katherine! Do you know where Serena is?" asked a boy with shaggy blonde hair. Katherine stared with harsh judgement.  "No." The boy frowned. "Oh. Sorry to bother you."

"Of course I know where Serena is, Drew," Katherine replied as Drew Lawrence turned around to walk away. He then turned back around to face the girl. "Wait really? Where is she?" Katherine glanced down the hallway. "Went that way. Headed to Chem. Why do you need to talk to her anyway?"

Drew merely shook his head. "Sorry, no time to explain. Thank you!" He called as he rushed to find Serena.

"Serena! Serena!" He called from just a few feet behind her. She slowly turned around with a frown on her face. Drew slowly made his way to her. "Oh- Holy shi- Your— Your name is Serena Bullock, right?" She nodded. "Um, yeah. Why?"

"Oh, I- uh," He stuttered anxiously, "You should probably come with me. It'll make more sense." Serena's eyes widened as he gently took her wrist and pulled her away from the larger group of students in the halls. "Who are you?! How do you even know who I am? I've never even seen you in the halls!"

"My name's Drew, and I'm a friend. I think. I mean, it would probably make what's about to happen a lot easier, but it'll up to you, I guess," replied Drew. Serena stared at him as she slowly began to shrug away. "No, No. I can't do this. Let go of me, Drew. Please. I have to go to class."

He shook his head. "I'm sorry, Serena. I can't. We need you." She raised an eyebrow in confusion. "We?!" Drew nodded. "It'll be better if you just talk to her." Serena opened her mouth, about to question the boy, but quickly shut in when he shuffled over to the nurse's office. "Come on," He whispered. "In here."

Serena took a deep breath as she walked in through the door. "Ah, finally. Is this the girl you were talking about?" A woman, strikingly resembling Drew, asked him. He nodded. "Yeah. This is Serena."

"Serena, child, do you know why my son has brought you here?" asked the woman. The girl shook her head. "Um, no. And Drew is your son?!" She asked. The woman nodded. "Yes. He seems to have forgotten to mention it." Drew shrugged. "Sorry, mom. I was kinda busy trying to catch her before the next class."

Drew's mother sighed heavily. "If you say so." She then turned to Serena, hesitantly setting her hand on the girl's shoulder. "Sorry for the inconvenience, Serena. I'm Mrs. Lawrence, but you can call me Amanda."

Serena nodded uncomfortably. "Auh- okay. Amanda. Umm, why exactly did Drew bring me here?" Mrs. Lawrence sighed. "We don't have time to explain, but you have to come with us. You are gifted." Serena frowned and took a step backwards. "Uh, how did you know that? I haven't been in any honors classes in two years!"

      Mrs. Lawrence shook her head. "No, no. Not like that, child. Please. Come with us. My son overheard that conversation of yours earlier about wanting to get away from this place. This is your chance, Miss Serena. And it is more than you are asking for. Where we're going, you won't have to worry about grades or boys. It will just be different."

Serena took a deep breath and slowly gave a single nod. "Okay. I'll come."

Mrs. Lawrence smiled at the young girl. "Alright. Now, take my hand and try to take your mind off of the things you are worrying about. There is no room for them where we are going."

Serena swallowed nervously. "Uhhh— okay."

"No, son," Amanda whisper-hissed at her son. "You need to stay here. People will be wondering where we are, and you need to protect the truth."

Drew shook his head wearily. "I can't, mom. Besides, you don't know where Alex is. I know where they are. He's gonna be really pissed if I don't come. I promised I would when I talked to him last time."

Amanda let out a reluctant sigh. "Fine. But this is the last time. It's too dangerous going back and forth. Take my hand."

Serena squeezed her eyes shut tight, trying not to overthink the matter at hand. Where were they going? How was closing her eyes going to help? Who was Alex? What did "too dangerous going back and forth" even mean?

Mrs. Lawrence then patted her arm reassuringly. "Calm down, honey. I can feel your anxiety from here. Think about something calming, and keep your mind focused on the good."

"S-S-Sorry," murmured Serena. "It's fine, child. Just focus on the good and—"

A whirling whooshing sound of water made Serena open her eyes. Instead of the sound coming from around her, it was above her.

Something like... like an upside down whirlpool?

 like an upside down whirlpool?

She looked over at Mrs. Lawrence and Drew. They both still had their eyes closed, holding hands, completely concentrated on something.

"What the fu-" Serena whimpered.

Maybe I'm just dreaming. I'm sure I'll wake up in a few minutes and feel completely safe at home in my bed.

Or maybe... Maybe I'm just wanting to get away so badly that I'm just asleep in Mrs. Boseman's class. I'm sure that's it.

"Close your eyes!" Drew hissed. Serena almost dropped her hand from his mother's at that comment. "How did you know I-"

"Close your eyes!" Drew hissed again. "You're going to mess everything up!"

Serena didn't waste a second more not listening to what he said. She closed her eyes immediately and hoped for the best.