Chapter 8 - Reconciliation

Deciding that it would be better to make things right with Chieko, you forced yourself to stand. Although it was a simple task, it proved to be difficult as your body trembled from fatigue and the cold.

Using the tree next to you for support, you tried your best to breathe just how Chieko had been instructing you for the past three months. The air, however, was icy and hard to breathe, making it difficult to get your breaths deep and full.

'I can do this,' you thought to yourself, mentally encouraging your body to do what you want it to.

Trying once again, you forced the air in even though it hurt. Using trees to help balance yourself, you began making your way back towards the ice estate.

"A child...?"

Your eyes widened as you turned your head to look at the person who spoke. It was clearly a demon, although you could already tell he was more powerful than the first demon you came across in the forest. He could actually talk, too.

He grinned evilly. "How cute. A child this deep in the forest? Oh, and you seem pretty cold too. Perhaps I should eat you before you get too cold since frozen meat isn't as appetizing-"

Your face paled in horror as a large beast of some sort came barreling into the demon, tackling it to the ground. When the beast lifted its head now that it had the demon writhing under its claws, you swallowed thickly. It was a beautiful serpent-like dragon that seemed to be made of pure ice. You tensed as a cracking sound came from the dragon, its core turning black while it growled down at the demon.

Two hands grasped your shoulders, making you jump in surprise as you turned to look at the person. Much to your shock, it was none other than Chieko with Nagaki perched on her shoulder.

"You could've died," she said harshly, tightly gripping your shoulders. "You are a marechi- you have rare blood that is highly desired by demons of all rankings. Demons want to eat people like you more than other humans," She then loosened her grip, her stern expression softening. "Your body is so cold... You're not hurt, are you?"

Too shocked to answer, you simply stood there before glancing at the dragon made of ice that still had the demon in its claws. "M-Machi-sama... Did you do that...? Are breathing styles capable of that...?"

Chieko remained silent for a moment as she removed her hands from your shoulders, now taking off her haori. "...No. Breathing styles only imitate an element. However, I have the ability to manipulate energy to an extent which I have integrated into ice breathing, and a special gift from an acquaintance of mine allows me to also create dragons made of ice."

You stared at the dragon for a little longer before turning your gaze back to Chieko as she draped her haori over your shoulders. "Machi-sama..."

"Yes?" she asked softly, waiting for you to continue.

"I'm so tired," you admitted, your frozen hands grasping the haori to pull it closer. You began leaning forward, to which Chieko responded by stepping forward and wrapping her arms around you, keeping you from falling. She lifted you into her arms, holding you close to her body as you drifted from consciousness.

'So warm...' you tiredly thought as you curled relaxed in the swordswoman's arms. 'I didn't realize Machi-sama was so warm...'

⸫⳹⸐⳻⸎⳺⸑⳼⸫

You groggily opened your eyes, noticing that your vision was blurry at first. After blinking a few times and allowing your eyes to adjust, you realized that you were back at the ice estate.