Duel Til Death

The afternoon breeze silently blew through Aneko's long black hair. She pushed it out of her face and leaned backwards onto the tree that she and Byakuya sat underneath before they met Ryoichi. They had shared a moment of intimacy, but ever since Ryoichi came, she was only a burden on Byakuya.

"What am I going to do?" Aneko sighed, her head falling on her knees as she hugged her legs. She closed her eyes slowly and tried to remember what had happened before she left school unable to concentrate on her studies and too depressed to talk to anyone.

~A Few Hours Ago~

The school bell rang loudly throughout the whole shinigami academy, marking the start of lunch. Aneko snapped out of her day-dreaming and her time staring out the window when she heard the ringing of the bell. She sighed and stood up, gathering her books. Ever since last night, she wasn't feeling really good and thought today was dragging on for like a year. Long, slow, and boring. Aneko walked out of the classroom and found Kinichi simply standing there, quiet. Unusual for her. Aneko thought, then smiled. She knows.

Aneko still had the grin on her face, walking up to Kinichi and saying, "Hey, Kinichi. What's up?"

Kinichi snapped her head up from looking down at the ground. Aneko noticed a small amount of fright in her surprised expression which was mixed in with a lot of worry, so it was hard to tell. Then, not giving Aneko anymore time to examine her expression, Kinichi smiled.

"Hey! Nothing much. Ready for lunch?" Kinichi said, in such a girlish voice that it made Aneko shiver.

Aneko nodded and started to walk with Kinichi who, she could tell, was trying to hide the fact she knew. Kinichi would be smiling and happily say all the things that happened in her morning classes that would seem funny, but really weren't in Aneko's mind. Now and again Aneko would throw a pity laugh to lift Kinichi's ego a little, but today was different, Kinichi was quiet.

"Where do you want to eat lunch today?" Aneko said, lifting the silence.

"I don't know. Maybe the courtyard today."

"I thought you hated the courtyard." Aneko said. "What's with the change of mind?"

"It's nothing. I just want to try something new."

Aneko couldn't help, but stare at Kinichi. Why is she so bummed out about this? Shouldn't I be the one who should be acting all sullen and depressed? Aneko thought. Aneko just shook her head and left. The silence settled back in, until they got to the courtyard. As usual, it had a few students, chattering away and laughing. Aneko found a wooden bench for the both of them and sat down, placing her books underneath the seats on the grass. Kinichi did the same next her and both of them took out their bento boxes.

Aneko snapped her chopsticks in two and began eating, but it didn't last when Kinichi surprisingly said out of no where, "What are you going to do about Ryoichi?"

Aneko looked up with a mouthful of sushi and looked at Kinichi with wide eyes.

Kinichi repeated herself and said, "What? What are you going to do about Ryoichi? He's in school, you know."

Aneko swallowed her mouthful, before she could say anything a voice came from behind the both of them.

"How rude. Talking behind my back. I'm not surprised about you, Kinichi, but I would expect better from you Aneko." Aneko heard the ever-so familiar voice of Ryoichi.

Aneko and Kinichi turned and saw Ryoichi standing there, arms across his chest. He wore his regular shinigami outfit, but Aneko noticed that he had a scar under his right eye, blemishing his face. Aneko assumed that it was only from a punishment he had received last night.