17.

You give a soft smile as you look at Zenitsu with hope, "Thank you, Zenitsu." you say as you lay your head on his shoulder and a hand on his chest, a beaded tear welling in your closed eyes.

Zenitsu wraps an arm around your waist to pull you in closer as he places his chin on the top of your head. "Anything for you, (Y/n)." he whispers as he hears soft breathing coming from beneath him - you were asleep.

Zenitsu placed a light kiss on the top of your head before sitting with you as you rested.

About twenty minutes later Aoi knocked on (Y/n)'s door before slowly opening it to see you laying your head on Zenitsu's shoulder as he held the hand you put on his chest while he looked down at you lovingly.

"(Y/n).." Aoi mumbled as she opened the door a bit further before walking up to the two of you.
"Mr. Zenitsu, is she okay? How's she doing?"

Zenitsu looked up at Aoi as if he were in a daze, "She's better now. She fell asleep." he said as he looked back down at you.

"I see. Well, in any case, thank you for your help." Aoi bows.

"No need to be so formal. I'd do the same for you." he says with a smile as he looks back up to Aoi.

"You're such a gentleman when you're not whining and asking me to marry you." she blushes before looking away.

You start to stir in your sleep, fluttering your eyes open. "Aoi?" your whisper groggily.

"Y/n), you're awake! How are you feeling? Are you alright?" Aoi asks as she bends over to look into your eyes, clasping your shoulder.

You look around for a second, "Zenitsu.." you whisper.

"That's right, I fell asleep while me and Zenitsu were talking." you think to yourself, recalling what happened before you fell asleep.

"Yea, I think so, Thanks." you say with hesitation, your mind foggy from your nap. "How's Tanjiro?" you ask.

Zenitsu squeezes the hand you placed on his chest at the mention of Tanjiro.

Even after all this, you're still thinking about Tanjiro?

Would you be as concerned for his well-being if he had done the same to you?

You look up at Zenitsu, a stern look of disapproval in your eyes.

The boy turns his head, huffing a bit as Aoi looks at the two of you puzzled.

"He's still the same: his fever is persistent and he's hallucinating a bit. Miss. Shinobu may have to take the reigns on this one." Aoi says as she shakes her head.

"I see." you frown, "Can I please try treating him for three more days?" you sit straight up, determination in your eyes.

Aoi backs off of you as she ponders, "Three days could prove to be fatal, (Y/n). How about 2?"

"Deal!" you shout. All you wanted was the chance to keep treating Tanjiro. You wanted to see the smile he brightened everyone's day with, the caring, brotherly attitude he promised to show you.

(Y/n), come on! Are you serious? This is the second time h-" Zenitsu protested before you put a finger to his lips.

"I'd give you multiple chances, why can't you?" you said as you stood to your feet, walking out of your room.

Zenitsu was stunned, a look of surprise and guilt written on his face.

"She's stubborn." Aoi says as she crosses her arms.

Zenitsu sighs, "And that's what I love about her."

You walk to the boys' room to see Inosuke sitting where you'd be right now: keeping an eye on a sleeping Tanjiro.

"Inosuke, thank you for looking after him. You should go and rest now too."

"No problem. Be careful." he says as he gets up out of the seat and walks out of the room.

You sit down in your chair and press the back of your palm to Tanjiro's forehead.

"Still sky high." you think to yourself as you wipe his head with a cloth.

"Miss. (Y/n)?" Tanjiro whispers as he opens his eyes.

You're plagued with fear for a split second before overcoming it. "Yes Tanjiro, I'm here."

"I-I'm sorry." he frowns as his lips quiver, "I hurt you and scared you. I'm so sorry." the boy apologizes as his sunken eyes fill with tears.

"Thank you, Tanjiro. I accept your apology. Please just be more mindful next time though I'm sure Zenitsu screamed that into you already." you say as you rub the back of your neck.

"Yea." his brows furrow and he shivers a bit at the thought and you can't help but laugh.

As you and Tanjiro begin sitting in silence, Zenitsu walks into the room, giving Tanjiro a glare before taking your hand and gently pulling you out of the chair.

*Zenitsu, wha-" you panic.

"Shh." he says as she places a finger to his lips.

The two of you walk outside of the door and down the hallway before Zenitsu speaks, "Sorry, (Y/n), I didn't wanna risk Tanjiro going crazy and hurting you again if I said I needed you again." he said as he continued walking.

"It's alright, I understand now. Thank you."

Zenitsu nods as he leads you to a window.

"Zenitsu, what are we doing here?" you ask.

Zenitsu let go of your hand, now pointing towards the window he led t you to before opening it. "Look." he says as you see a crow with a letter in it's grasp flying around the mansion.

"Message! Message! (Y/n) Tsumaki! Message! Message!"

"I'm here Mr. Crow!" you shout, waving a hand and Zenitsu smiles at you.

"I heard it flying around calling your name so I came to get you." Zenitsu says as the crow lands.

"Thanks Zenitsu." you say as you take and read the paper the crow delivered.

Your eyes widen as you see the letter before you. 'Please confirm the cancellation of the arranged marriage between Tengen Uzui and (Y/n) Tsumaki.'

You think hard about your decision before biting a finger and signing your name in blood before tying it back to the crow and sending it off.

"I refuse to marry Tengen."