The Cure

He stood in the center of an empty room, its white walls seemingly luminescent, forcing his pupils to shrink. He squinted his ruby eyes, focusing on the one-way glass window a few feet in front of him.

A speaker crackled overhead, Dr. Madden's voice booming through the mic, reverberating throughout the room. "Experiment Scarecrow, stop standing there! Do  something for our visitors!" he barked.

Seven years had past, now putting him at the age of fifteen; his innocent lenses of the world wiped from his mind. He kept his thin arms folded across his chest, continuing to blankly stare at his reflection in the glass, holding no form of emotion across his face.

A frustrated sigh escaped from the doctor, blowing through the mic. "I apologize, he seems to be uncooperative today," he growled.

"Do make this quick, Dr. Madden, we must return to our own facilities soon. We do not have all day to watch him stare at his reflection," an elderly man's voice echoed on the other side.

Dr. Madden huffed, wheels of a chair scraping across the floor before he spoke into the mic once again. "This is your final  warning, Experiment Scarecrow, or I will have no choice but to use force."

He tilted his head, lowering his arms as he stepped closer to the window, pressing his face against it. "I-I know you're in there..." he hissed, the red of his irises darkening. "Wh-What do you want from me?" His neck twitched, jerking his head temporarily to the side, a smile tugging at his lips.

"Wh-Why am I here?!" he began to giggle, his voice wavering with each laugh racking his body.

"And this is the 'experiment' you claim will be the cure?" another low, elderly male voice scoffed. "He is just as insane as the patients!"

"I must agree with Dr. Stallard. You cannot possibly believe he is the one. Look at him!" a younger male exclaimed on the other side.

He began to slam his fists against the glass, vibrating the window with each hit. "I don't belong here!" he screamed, his forearms trembling.

"Enough! Nurses, go and sedate the experiment, he is having a break down, and I do not wish to take the risk of him harming himself," Dr. Madden ordered.

His chest heaved with each breath, continuing to scream into the glass. "Let me out! I want to go home!" The radiant lights above beginning to flicker, sending the room into a temporary darkness.

The voices of the doctors turned to panic on the other side, crackling through the speakers until the faint voice of a female broke through the madness. "Le-Let me handle it, please!"

The hurrying shuffle of footsteps sounded through the mic until the doorknob of the white door, next to the window, turned with a click. Soon, a young, Japanese woman entered in a white lab coat, her dark eyes darting to him as he remained pressed against the glass.

She softly closed the door behind her, cautiously approaching as she reached a hand out toward him. "Experiment Scarecrow," she said with an almost soothing tone, catching his attention.

His scarlet eyes drifted to her, the lights above becoming a solid glow as she grew closer.

Carefully, she pushed back her ebony hair, wanting to ensure he could clearly read the expression on her face, in which she meant no harm to him. "Calm down," she crooned. "You're ok. I'm not going to do anything to harm you."

He watched her as she softly reached for his hand. "Trust me..." she whispered, her eyes seeming to take a calming affect on him.

A sense of security brushed over him, making him believe he could approach her. He stepped closer, allowing her to take his hand. 

A small smile pulled across her face, eyes locking with his, giving her enough time to allow her fingers to creep into her pocket.

He remained in a trance, lost within her tranquillizing eyes until a quick sting pierced into the vein of his neck. His eyes widened as his knees buckled beneath him, forcing him to lean heavily against the small woman.

"I-I'm sorry," she whispered in his ear as he fell into her, her arms wrapping around him after she dropped the syringe to the floor. "I-I will help you soon, I-I promise. This is only part of the plan."

His vision blurred, watching as the door crept open, revealing the group of  male doctors huddled together. He blinked a few times before his eyelids drifted shut, falling completely motionless.