ten. i live for you, i long for you

SOMEHOW, I END up at Jeremiah's house for the so-called get-together they're hosting for the 4th of July. He bribed me with an extra ticket he had to see Blink-182, and I absolutely could not refuse.

I shut the door to my car after getting out and start heading up the stairs to the front door when I hear someone call my name.

Steven rounds the corner of the back of the house and smiles at me. I smile back and start walking over to him.

"Yo, Liv," he greets. "We're all in the backyard. Follow me."

I fall into step with him as he leads me toward the back of the house.

Just as we're about to head inside the door, the back of my top catches on a branch of one of the bushes outside. My steps falter as I'm pulled back into the branch.

"Shit," I curse under my breath. Then louder, I call out, "Steven!"

He turns around, quirking a brow and looking at me in confusion.

"My top is stuck on this fucking branch. Help a girl out, dude."

Steven snorts out a laugh. I glare at him, tossing up my middle finger. He raises his hands in defense, still grinning.

He walks over and moves behind me to try to untangle the branch from me. He works for a few seconds before I get impatient.

"Don't feel pressure to move any faster. Like, literally don't. I'm fine just staying out here until the dead of fucking night. Please, take your time."

Steven chuckles, still trying to detach the branch from my top.

"Hey, just be glad Jere isn't out here. If he was, he would record you instead of helping you."

I tick my head to the side as if pondering his statement.

"True enough."

A minute passes without any luck in removing the branch.

"It's hella stuck in there. Maybe we should cut—" Steven starts.

"No!" I yell immediately. "This top cost like thirty bucks. There's no way I'm going to cut it."

Although I can't see him, I just know Steven is shaking his head. Before he can say anything, I hear footsteps approaching us. A head of blonde curls appears in my vision, and I turn my head slightly to see Jeremiah coming up to us with a frown painted across his face.

"What are you guys doing?"

Steven looks away from where he was trying to untangle the branch and waves at Jeremiah.

"Thank God you're here," Steven says. "Liv's got herself in a sticky situation."

He moves away from behind me and toward Jeremiah. The pun is so bad, I cringe. But it makes me let out a loud laugh, regardless.

My sense of humor is broken.

"Get outta here, Steve," I say, mouth still curved into a grin. "You have shit dad jokes."

He rolls his eyes but smiles. "You still laughed, Winslet." He turns around and pats Jeremiah on the shoulder. "Good luck, bro."

With that, he walks through the door to the backyard. Shaking my head, I look at Jeremiah. He's staring back at me with a weird look on his face. Raising an eyebrow, I cross my arms.

"So...are you going to help me or what?"

Without his expression changing, he moves behind me and starts working. The strings of my top tie around my neck with most of my back showing. Because of that, I feel his callused fingers brush over my bare skin. I bite my lip, trying hard not to arch into his touch.