Chapter 1

"Will you come to Tech Noir with me?"

Earth 27. That's where I was created. Where we were created.

I stared at the mirror in front of me, trying to study my face but all my mind consumed of information is that this identical mirrored reflection is a mere stranger. A deep sigh left my lips and I started washing my face with cold water. It felt like it was burning my skin yet also giving it the coldness I needed to wake up. Wake up.. What a strange thing to say.

Shooting one last glance at the mirror, the door to my bathroom closed it off once I left it. I lived in a small but cozy apartment in one of the highest skyscrapers. Making my way to the window, the screen that earlier showed an other scene revealed itself to the sight over the city that many residents would've killed for.

I'm considered a high being in this city but I never understood why. I was only a project from a lab. From 'Alchemax'. The society agreed to grant me the right of dimension-travelling. 'For research purposes' they said.

My eyes shifted to my wrist where a purple screen automatically popped up, giving me the decision to which universe I'd like to travel. Being able to dimension-travel however came with very strict rules. No interfering with evolution. No interacting with residents to a point it can be considered friendship. Never reveal your name & residence and so much more.
Too many rules for me to remember but I never messed up.

I'm just a creation made for science; made to control for those that fear they will lose it.

-----

"Void, where the fuck have you been?!" I lifted my head to meet the eyes of my professor. I lowered my headset to my neck, it registering to be offline for a while and thus disappearing. I only shrugged as a reply. A groan revealed his impatience with me which has become very common lately, but he held it together. "Whatever... board loved your reports... thanks to your help but it is not enough." Not enough. "We need you to be gone for a few days. Earth 7439. I've been informed that there will be... Do not mess it up."

My creator grabbed my wrist forcefully, and applied a software to my device. I looked into his eyes. "Earth 7439. Purpose?" My professor visually sighed and let go of my arm to place it on my shoulder, leading me to the room where the board commonly held their meetings. Upon approach to his desk a board popped up that allowed me to read what they have written down. He pointed to what my purpose was.
"Earth 7439. Gather resources, get a sample from the spider & observe", I repeated for confirmation in which he nodded.

Before I got ready for my new mission, I headed to the lab first to gather the necessary equipment. Right when I was about to leave, a hand on my shoulder made me stop in my track, and turn around. Black particles slowly covered the tip of the person's fingers before they quickly pulled away. "Void, be careful", the female told me as she motioned it in sign language. 'Never am but thanks for the heads up, Jesse', I signed back instead of replying with my voice. Before I'd turn, and return to my room, I placed two fingers to my forehead, swinging the outwards as a 'See you later'. She chuckled, and returned the gesture.

-----

I exited the building, taking a look up into the night sky that was covered in glistening stars. Most our residents here love the daylight as it happens once a month, however my appreciation for the night always stays. The stars twinkling in the big wide void made me feel a connection to it in some odd way. Maybe since I was so similar as it. Endless. Dark. Unpredictable.

In a hand motion my headphones reappeared around my neck and I set them back on my head, listening to the song I had paused earlier. I strut through the busy city back on my way to the room that my master gave me as a reward of my cooperation. They're great people. They helped me grow into the thing I am now. They're great people.