Song One - Pearlescent

Song One - Pearlescence

~

The sun shimmered across the sandy beach while she sat peacefully admiring the mermen splashing and joking around in the shining sea in front of her. While she was watching all of them, only one of them had her full attention. His hair flowed playfully as he swam away from one of the other men. For a moment they locked eyes, and she swore she felt something between them, although they had never met.

For the remainder of the afternoon, the merman kept glancing at her. He knew he was supposed to be talking with his buddies, but he couldn't take his eyes off her. Her hair was like the sand and her hair shimmered with a beautiful pearlescence. He was nothing compared to her, but he yearned for her. He had seen her around their village before and he admired her every time her eyes glazed over him. He doubts she ever paid attention to him then though.

She needed to make a move, she couldn't bear to go another day without him. Something was stopping her, a gut feeling that wouldn't go away. It wasn't danger, but it wasn't love either. Maybe it's best to wait for him to make the move.

He paused himself, he was going to ask her to brunch, but something was holding him back. What would his girlfriend think? Leaving her for another mermaid. He couldn't, but he wanted to. She was the girl of his wildest dreams.

"Who are you staring at?" his friend questioned.

"A Pearl, isn't she beautiful?"