CHAPTER FOUR

The next morning, your peaceful slumber is jarringly interrupted by Minho's voice. "Listen, you squatter, we have to get ready for the first day of school," he says, the words barely registering in your sleep-addled mind. "Don't make us late," he warns, giving the door a single hard rap before twisting the doorknob open.

"Minho, I'm not the one you should be harassing," you grumble, the sheets rustling as you sit up in bed, blinking away the remnants of your precious sleep. Your eyes wander to Kitty's empty bed, the sheets neatly made. "Where's Kitty?" you ask, curiosity masking your annoyance at being woken up so abruptly.

"Are you not the one who shares a room with her?" Minho retorts, his gaze sliding back to your half-asleep figure.

"Kitty didn't mention anything about leaving early last night," you mumble in response, suppressing a yawn.

"Fantastic," Minho mutters under his breath, sounding anything but pleased.

Quincy, having watched the exchange quietly, begins to rotate his body towards your other roommate outside the doorway. "Dae, don't worry about it. We'll-" His voice trails off as he notices Dae's absence. "And he's disappeared too," he finishes, surprise coloring his tone.

"I mean, I know I went after Kitty when we first met," you begin, stretching and yawning as if to punctuate the beginning of your day, "But what happens between her and Dae isn't really out business, it it?"

A tense silence fills the room, all of you sharing meaningful looks. It's a silent consensus that none of you will interfere with Dae and Kitty's relationship. Whatever is going on between them, it's something they need to figure out themselves, without you, Quincy, or Minho sticking your noses in.

Breaking the silence, Minho looks at you with a mischievous glint in his eyes, "Wonyoung, have I ever told you how radiant you look in the mornings?"

Instead of engaging in his flirty banter, you glance at your phone's reflection, revealing your unkempt hair, puffy eyes, and the overall look of a girl who just woke up. You drop your phone onto your covers, raising an eyebrow at Minho, "Seriously?"

Before Minho could respond to your sarcastic retort, your phone vibrates and jingles to Unforgiven by Le Sserafim on the covers, drawing both your attention. The ID flashes "Mom" and you quickly pick it up, swiping to answer. Instantly, a knot forms in your stomach, and you shoot an apprehensive glance towards Minho who merely shrugs in response

"Hi, Mom," you greet, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible.

"Wonyoung! Why didn't you call me as soon as you arrived at KISS? I've been worried sick," your mother scolds, her tone filled with a mixture of relief and concern. "I had to call the school to confirm you arrived."

Just as you're about to respond, Minho, ever the mischievous one, stretches across the distance and yells into the receiver, "Hello! Koyuki! How have you been?"

"M-Minho, stop!" you stutter, laughing but also turning red as you desperately try to push your friends towards the door of your room. You want this conversation with your mom to be between the two of you. "Guys, out!"

—-

"Wonyoung, your father..." her voice trails off a little, "he heard you're in Seoul and attending KISS. He wants to see you again."

For a moment, you freeze, the phone nearly slipping from your hand's grasp. The idea of seeing your dad after so long unsettles you. Between his infidelity to your mom, alcoholism, and abusive behavior, you had no plans of seeing him anytime soon.

"Mom... I..." You swallow hard, steeling yourself, "I don't think I can do that."

"You don't have to make a decision now, but please do consider it. You know, for old times' sake." The softness in your mom's voice does nothing to ease the turmoil within you. "He—"