Chapter Seven

I shifted in the passenger seat of Luke's Mustang. He glanced over at me and frowned.
"This is absolutely the worst idea you've ever had."

"Oh, come on. If I didn't come up with it you would have."

"Would not." He play-punched my shoulder and turned up the radio.

"Sure." I glanced down at the addresses I had typed into my phone. Our first stop was our gemomentry teacher, Mrs. Woodlow. She lived just south of Courage High; in a huge two-story house inhabited by her, her husband, and her twelve children. Geez. I think I would rip my hair out with one kid, let alone a dozen. She was a nice lady, one I didn't think was capable of such a gruesome crime as selling children for sex.

Then again, anyone could have been a suspect. I wasn't ruling anyone out until I had a solid alibi.

Luke pulled up to Mrs. Woodlow's home. I got out, my muscles stiffening. My mind flashed back to what the traffickers told me. That soon I'd be chained up right next to Ella.

We couldn't let that happen.

I looked up at Luke as he fell into step beside me. "Let's get this over with."

With a flick of my wrist, I rapped on the door panel, softly.

No response.

I knocked again, harder this time. Still nothing. I was about to knock again when Luke put his hand on my shoulder. "Let me try, Kay." He said before pounding on the doorframe firmly. We backed up several paces as a small boy came to the door. He had disheveled red hair and chocolate dripping from his chin. I rolled my eyes. Reason one hundred fifty seven not to have kids.

"What do you want?" The boy questioned, a stern expression on his face. At least, as stern as am eight-year-old can look. I felt a smile tugging at my mouth.

"Is Harlow Woodlow your mother?"

He furrowed his brow. "Why? Who wants to know?"

Ooookay. I'm no kid expert, but I'm pretty sure elementary kids don't usually go around asking things like that. Like, what the heck?!

Luke, forever the peacemaker, stepped up and spoke to the boy in that annoying animated voice of his. "Just a couple of her students, buddy. We just wanted to check in on our favorite teacher, you know?"

The child grinned. He kind reminded me of Gazzy out of Maximum Ride. "Yeah, got it. She's in the kitchen if ya want to see her."

"Thanks, buddy." I ruffled the kid's hair and stepped inside, Luke on my heels. I could sense his protective instincts kicking in, and I knew he was worried about me. A pang of guilt struck my heart. What would be say if he knew I would be snatched for sex at any given second? I chuckled in spite of myself. He'd probably throw me in the basement.
"What's so funny?" Luke asked curiously.

"Nothing, just thinking."

"Hmmm." He looked at me skeptically, but didn't have time to argue as we stepped into the kitchen.

"Luke, Kay!" Mrs. Woodlow smiled and turned away from the sink. "What brings you here?"

"Just came for a visit, Mrs. Woodlow." I said.

Her expression changed from surprise to compassion. "Kay, I was so sorry to hear about Ella. Is there anything I can do?"

You can take yourself off our suspect list. I thought bitterly. "No ma'am," I said, my voice quiet. "we've decided to leave the investigation to the police."

See? I'm not that bad of a liar.

"I see. And what about you, Luke? How are you holding up?"

"I'm okay, Mrs. Woodlow. Like Kay said, just leaving it to the authorities." Luke sounded unconvincing even to me. I fought to conceal a smirk.

Mrs. Woodlow smiled warmly. It shook me to the core to the think the woman before me could have sold my baby sister into prostitution. But then, I knew better than to rule anyone out. Everyone was guilty until proven innocent. Was that fair? Maybe not. But fairness and justice were two very different things. Sometimes you just can't have both.

Luke and I visited with Mrs. Woodlow for a while longer, then said our goodbyes and got into the Mustang. As he pulled out of the driveway, Luke cast a quick sideways glance toward me. I had never seen him so serious. Well, maybe once, when I told him Henry had cheated on me. But that look was different from this one. He wasn't angry.

He was scared.

"What's your take on her?"

I shrugged and looked out the window at the streets passing by. The houses on Mrs. Woodlow's block we prestige, upscale. I knew for a fact she didn't make much as a teacher, and her husband was a plumber. How had they afforded such a large and beautiful home?

"I don't know." I answered finally. "She acted innocent, and I don't think she was lying. But what if I'm wrong? What if I get Ella killed?"

"Kay, just trust your instincts. You'll figure it out. You always do."

As Luke pulled back onto our street, I shot upright in my seat. "Luke, where do you think we're going? We're supposed to go see Mr. Hartly!"

"We're going for a ride, then we'll go see Mr. Hartly." He replied firmly. I noticed his jaw was clenched. Uh-oh. It wasn't going to be easy to talk him out of this one.

"No way, Luke. I'm not going on a ride, not today. Not while my little sister's life is in jeopardy."

"Yes, we are. Like it or not."

My temper flared. "And since when do you tell me what to do?"

"Since now." Luke swerved into my driveway and parked. "Get out of the car, Kay."

"No."

He sighed and opened his door. I smiled smugly. But that smile quickly disappeared when he walked around to my side. Before I could hit the lock button, Luke had jerked my door open and bent down to look into my eyes. "You did this to yourself." He commented as he grabbed my waist and threw me over his shoulder.

I'm not the kind of girl to curse, but let me tell you, Luke heard every word in the book as he carried me to the barn. Finally, I stopped cussing and tried another technique. I started hitting his back, hard as I could. He cursed under his breath. "Kay, stop it." He practically growled. I kept hitting him, despite the fact I could tell he was getting mad. "Kay, stop. That hurts." He said again.

"Then put me down!" I ordered.

"Not a freaking chance."

"Luke, I'm warning you. Put me down before I kick you in the crotch."

I felt his grip tighten on me. "I swear to God, if you try it, I'll...I'll tickle you to death."

That was it. I burst out laughing as he carried me into the barn. "That's your idea of retaliation?"

My laughter instantly eased the tension between us. Luke carefully lowered me to the ground, his grip gentle. I could tell he was trying not to hurt me. He grinned and shoved me, not too hard. "You'd be begging for mercy, Kay. You're way too ticklish."

I pouted, trying to conceal the smile tugging at my lips. "Am not."

The second the words escaped my mouth, I knew they were a mistake. Luke offered a wicked grin and lunged at me, knocking me flat on my back. I landed on a loose mound of hay. Before I could get up, he pinned me down and started to tickle me.

"L... Luke!" I gasped out between giggles as his fingers danced over my sides and ribcage. "St...stop right now! Get off me!"

"Not until you say I'm the best cousin ever!" He leaned closer and looked down at me with those playful brown eyes of his.

"No! You're the worst!" I laughed, twisting and turning beneath his grip.

"Not as horrible as you, Kay." He finally relented and patted my cheek in a play-slap. "You ready for that ride?"

I finished catching my breath and glared up at him. "Fine. But if I get abducted, it's all your fault."

Luke chuckled. "Duly noted. Let's go.'