My First, My Last, My Everything

"I don't understand, what are you saying?" she asks, her voice trembling slightly. "I don't know, Wilhemina. I don't know" I reply softly as I shake my head. "But you said-" "we both made promises, and broke them all. How else did you expect me to react? Should I just sit here while you continue to tell me how much of a bad person I am? I know that already, Mina" I sigh.

"I-I never said you were a bad person... I don't—I don't think that" she whispers, "you may not have said those words, but it was heavily implied. Please don't treat me like I'm stupid. I know you, Wilhemina" I scoff. "Stop calling me that! You never call me that! Just... please, baby" she begs. "I can't" I whisper shakily, finally pulling on the handle and walking out the door...

The day that I met you
I started dreaming
- Faye Webster
________

One year ago...

I'm minding my business, strolling through the park, when I get a sudden craving. I desperately need matcha, so I head to the nearest cafe. It takes me a good fifteen minutes to get there but it's worth it. The little bell tinkles as I pull the door open. A brunette peeks from behind the counter and smiles at me.

"Hi! Welcome to Manny's, what can I get for you today?" she asks politely, "can I get an iced matcha latte, please? With 3 pumps of chai, vanilla cold foam, and cinnamon" I answer. "No problem. That'll be 5.95" she tells me, I hand her the money and thank her. Making sure to put some extra in the tip jar.

I look around for a seat in the mean time and that's when I lay eyes on her. Auburn hair flowing down her back, head to toe in purple. I can't see her face since her hair is partially obstructing my view. Only her nose peeks out from the natural curtain. I take in her full appearance seeing that a cane is resting beside her.

Interesting. "Charlie" a woman calls, I turn around and smile as I go to grab it. "Thank you... Alexa" I say, having to glance at her name tag, "of course" she replies before heading back. I turn to face the woman again and I notice there's no one sitting next to her. Actually anywhere near her for that matter, so I head over.

"Hi, miss... could I sit here?" I ask softly, her gaze slowly wanders up to me. Her eyes narrowed, glaring at me as if I've just committed an unspeakable crime. "There's plenty of other seats" she points out, her eyes falling back to her open book. "Yes, but I thought it might be nice to have some company" I voice.

"Think again. Preferably while you find another seat" she grumbles, "is that Shakespeare?" I question. "No it's Darwin" she sighs, "you know I think there's a lot of overlap between the two" I add. Sitting down and acting as though I'm blissfully unaware of her annoyance. I'm hoping she gets over it because I'd kick myself for missing my shot.

"Do you now? Also I never told you that you could sit" she comments, "you also didn't tell me I couldn't" I quip. She just sighs and rolls her eyes. "Anywho, I do think they have similarities. Yes, Darwin writes about evolution and such. However, so does Shakespeare. Though it's more of an emotional and mental evolution" I say taking a sip of my drink.

"Mhm" she hums, "do you read a lot?" I ask and she mutters something under her breath. "Yes, and I quite detest people who interrupt me" she asserts, "well I couldn't help myself. A gorgeous woman who also likes Shakespeare is rare" I reply. Her eyes don't move from her book but I also don't miss the slight blush on her face.

I wait for her to respond but she says nothing so I continue. "So, pretty lady, what's your name?" I ask softly, she mumbles and I can't hear her so I ask her to say it again. "Wilhemina Venable" she answers, "Well Wilhemina, I'm Charlie" I introduce myself reaching my hand over the table.

"I heard" she says coldly, not looking away from her book. Damn she changes from hot to cold quick. "Have you read that before?" I ask gesturing to her book she seems so interested in "Yes" she replies shortly, "me too! Do you have a favorite character?" I ask leaning forward.

"No, but I assume yours is bottom" she deadpans, "did you just call me an ass?" I gasp dramatically. "Whatever you say" she mutters, "I say you're going on a date with me tomorrow" I reply quickly. Her head snaps up to me and a more pronounced blush paints her face. "I take that as a yes" I smirk, "I didn't... I didn't say that" she mumbles.

"So you'll give me your number" I say questioningly, "that doesn't feel like a question" she replies softly. "Will you give me your number?" I ask, she doesn't reply just closes her book. She starts putting her things away after checking her watch for the time. I don't say anything just yet, I wait for her to get her stuff together first.

She takes out a pen and writes on a napkin, sliding it over to me. Without further discussion, she simply gets up and leaves. The little bell dinging as she exits. I watch her as she gets in her car and quickly drives off. Glancing down at the cloth I read what she wrote.

***-***-****
-W.V x