i. Imperil Jeopardy

YEAR 850

"Grab on."

Anastasia wasted no time in clasping her hand with Eren's. He hoisted her up the wall, making sure she was stable before releasing her hand.

"You okay?" He said, his voice no more than a whisper. Anastasia nodded, although she was still processing the events that had happened the previous night. She breathed in a deep breath, as much as she can get in her lungs with the high elevation.

Eren hummed in acknowledgment, his hand grazing the small of her back (a gesture that was common between the two) before he turned to help Reiner up onto the wall. Anastasia stood idly, gazing over the forests and vast land that was before her. She never really took advantage of the beautiful views when she was on top of the wall. The air felt fresher and it seemed more peaceful, she wishes she can stay here forever.

Anastasia heard Reiner plop down to sit beside her. His hand pinched the bridge of his nose, a pained expression casting across his pale face.

"Are you okay, Reiner?" Eren questioned.

"No! A titan chewed through my arm!" Reiner answered, irritated with his defeat. Anastasia joined in,"Eren, don't ask stupid questions." A playful smirk growing on her face. Eren looked back, feigning disbelief and offense. He knew she was joking, they often bickered with one another, so it was never taken to heart. "So you think I'm stupid? Wow, can't believe you."

Anastasia scoffed,"Yeah, I think you're very stupid, you suicidal maniac." She smirked even more when she saw the look that displayed on his face when he registered the nickname she used.

They stopped bickering when Reiner groaned in pain once again. Anastasia looked towards him, making eye contact with him and silently asking if he needed any of her help. She was a trained nurse, after all. What good would her training be if she didn't help out?

Reiner shook his head slightly indicating he didn't need any of her help. He put his head into his hand again,"I might be done for..."

Anastasia stared at him questioningly. He might be done for? What does this mean for him? For them? For their mission? Millions of questions endlessly ran through her mind, anxiety also creeping up on her.

Eren sighed,"So someone as strong as you can even get like this."

Anastasia walked towards the edge of the wall, leaning down to help Armin get on top the wall. "Well, I'd say he's almost indestructible with all that brawn he has, but you know, he's not immortal either." She chimed.

"I've had two near-death experiences. I'm not going to be around much longer at this pace." Reiner stated. Anastasia couldn't read the look in his eyes, it was almost like he was giving up in a way or letting himself go. She quickly grew concerned.

"I chose this path for myself. But it seems like being a soldier wears down your mind before your body," Reiner continued. Soldier? Anastasia queried. He wasn't a soldier, he isn't supposed to be a soldier. He's a Warrior. That's what they were, Marley's puppets to toy around with and do their bidding. "Well... I guess there's no time to whine when we got a hole to plug." Reiner finally ended, he heaved a big breathe as he stated his words.

"Yeah... You guys just keep getting pulled away farther and farther from your hometown. We need to stop that here." Eren replied, he turned his back, starting his walk towards where the rest of the group was across the wall.