Ch. 1

The 'Card Soldiers' of Wonderland protected the Queen of Hearts and her castle. Carrying out orders diligently and putting up with the most ridiculous requests. No matter how cruel or demanding, the card soldiers were even willing to fold themselves in half for her sake.

You wondered how you found yourself in this situation, being honored with two 'Card Soldiers' and a 'Little Jabberwocky' in this brand new world. You didn't mind being followed around, doted on, protected... You actually liked it a lot. Being the only girl in a school filled with a population made up entirely of the opposite sex, having two pseudo bodyguards nearby at all times was comforting. They didn't view you like the other student's did. You were just a friend. You were their friend and they wanted to make life at Night Raven College much easier for you. Someone has to cut you some slack, after all, it's not like you knew this place existed a few months ago.

The beast separated its jaws, showing off his rows of razor-like teeth. He was exhausted.

Classes had finally ended for the day as Grim stretched, snapping his mouth shut as his big round eyes fell half-lidded from fatigue. Finally, you were free from lecture and assessment. But your work was far from done today. "I wanna go back to Ramshackle for a nap... Do you really have to help out today?!" Grim huffed in displeasure as you scooped his round body into your arms. You nodded with your lips pulled back into a frown. "Listen, I already said I would! You are more than welcome to walk back to Ramshackle without me." You offered with your grip starting to loosen around Grim.

His little paws patted against the back of your hands as he let out a nervous laugh and gave you a crooked smile. "Hey, hey, hey... I'm not saying I won't go with you! That's not what I'm saying at all!" His voice cracked with fear, smiling nervously as two familiar faces entered the classroom.

A pair of card soldiers. The two of spades, and the ace of hearts.

"Yo, Prefect, your escorts are here." Ace smirked with his arms crossed over his chest, eyes glittering with mischief. Your heart lightened as he walked ahead of Deuce who smiled and waved with a soft 'hey'. His expression was gentle as always and his smile held a warmth you wished to feel forever. You were happy to see them both. "And I see the little freeloader is comfortable as always." The red-head leaned over the desk, eyeing Grim with a frown as Deuce collected your things from the table. It was an everyday occurrence without fail. After every class they found you, Ace picked a fight with Grim, Deuce carried your stuff to the next class or back to Ramshackle, then rinse and repeat.

But you had no complaints.

As you stood, Grim clung to your blazer with a growl as you smoothed out the back of your skirt. "Any plans after class? If you aren't busy, you should come back to Heartslabyul with me and Ace. There's supposed to be an UnBirthday today." Deuce offered as you all left the classroom in a small group. "I wanted to skip out and do something else. Apparently the Board Game Club is having a tournament. If you can beat Azul in the Game of Life, he'll make a contract with you! No strings attached!" Ace offered up his scheme to coast through his life NRC much easier. As you slipped through the sea of bustling students in the crowded hall you chewed on your lower lip as the pair awaited your decision. A Heartslabyul UnBirthday? Or a Game of Life that could end in disaster?

Both suggestions sounded interesting, but you shook your head in refusal to both. "You know I would go to both if I could, but I made a promise to someone else today that I would help out at their dorm." You politely declined both offers as frowns started to appear on their faces. The four of you left the school building as the boys slowed down, letting you walk ahead a few steps alone, only to quickly resume their position behind you. While you carried Grim in your arms you could sense Ace suddenly growing annoyed with the revelation that someone else would be occupying your time today. "A promise with who?" Ace asked first, you could hear him scowling behind you. "If it's anyone from the snotty Pomfiore-"