2. The Decision That Cost Everything

The months following the kidnapping of Elizabeth were painful. It was painful that all I could do was watch and listen like a sloth. I could do nothing to help. But what was most painful was watching James chase the love of his life who didn't have a single thread of love for him.

When I saw Elizabeth arrive in Port Royal, I ran to her and shouted, "Liz!"

I smiled and hugged her tightly.

"Lotte, I missed you so much!" she said.

I released the hug, and tears ran down my face, but she wasn't crying like I was.

"Come, you need to tell me everything that happened!"

I didn't know that the conversation we would have next would tear our friendship apart forever.

"You told James you'd marry him if he rescued Will?" I asked, shocked.

She must have seen the disapproval on my face because she responded defensively, "It was the only way for me to convince him! What was I supposed to do, let Will die!?"

I stood up. "You took advantage of him!"

She stood up as well, angrily, and exclaimed, "I didn't have a choice!"

"Yes, you did! You could've made it clear you didn't love him and you loved Will!"

I was breathing heavily.

She wasn't shouting this time, but she was still annoyed. "You're only saying that because you love him!"

I stopped shouting as well. Instead, I took a step towards her, and she took a step back until I cornered her against the wall.

I came close and whispered angrily, "You're right, I do. But even if I didn't, I'd at least have some remorse for him. I wouldn't use him, lie to him, give him false hope. Or are you actually planning to marry him?"

She stayed silent.

I scoffed with a fake smile. "That's what I thought."

That's the last thing I said before I burst out of her room. We barely talked after that, and whenever we did, it was merely to acknowledge each other's existence.

══ஓ๑♡๑ஓ══

"Charlotte dear, hasn't any man asked for your hand in marriage yet?" my mom asked when she saw me doing embroidery while sitting on the couch.

"Not really," I lied.

Many men had asked for my hand in marriage, but I couldn't bring myself to say yes or even maybe to any of them. I knew that unless I got over James, I wouldn't be able to give them the love they deserved. Besides, even though some of them were lovely, they just weren't like James. James wasn't a noble who had never lifted a finger once in his lifetime. James had discipline, personality, charm, intelligence, and most importantly, kindness.

"What about Arthur? He seemed like a lovely boy, and he told me he liked you. Didn't he ask for your hand in marriage?"

"Oh, I forgot, he did. But I said no," I responded with boredom.

"What was wrong with him?"

"Honestly, nothing," I replied simply.

"Hm, that's odd. When I was your age, I couldn't think of anything else but boys..."

Oh, trust me, I think about boys all the time, but only one.

"...are you...?"

Is she being serious right now?