01. only in movies... not reality

Kie woke up in her bed with a splitting headache. Her body felt heavy, and there was an unusual tingling sensation coursing through her veins.

She tried to sit up, but found that she was stuck to her bed. She looked down and noticed her hand was glued to the sheets. Panic surged through her as she tried to yank her hand free, only to find that it easily unstuck with a simple thought.

"What the..." Kie murmured to herself, staring at her hand in disbelief. She tentatively touched the bed sheet again, and found her fingers sticking once more, only to find that it easily unstuck with a simple thought.

She blinked in confusion, her mind racing.

The spider bite.

It had to be the spider bite. But that was impossible, wasn't it? People didn't just gain superpowers. That was stuff of comic books and movies, not reality.

Her thoughts were interrupted as she felt the need to cancel plans with the pogues to figure herself out.

Group Chat with the Pogues

Hey guys
sorry I can't make it to the beach today
Feeling a bit under the weather.

Jombee: That's unlike you, Kie
You sure you okay?

Yeah
just need some time to myself
Catch up with you later

Pope: Kie, you know we're always here for you. Maybe we should swing by and check on you?

No really
I'll be fine. Just need some rest.

JJ: Are you sure? We could bring over some soup or something

Thx JJ
but I think I just need to be alone for a bit. I'll let you know if anything changes.

She set her phone down, hesitant, she decided to test something else. She focused on the small lamp on her bedside table, squinting at it. To her amazement, she could see every minute detail - the tiny scratch on the base, the speck of dust on the bulb, the fading color on the lampshade.

"This can't be happening," she whispered to herself. "This... this doesn't happen in real life."

But it was happening. And as the reality of the situation dawned on her, Kie felt a strange sense of excitement mixed with fea, but she mostly felt sick.

With a sense of urgency, she raced out of her bed to meet her parents downstairs.