bare under love

credits to: theninthtrack

short oneshot
—————

She blamed her unreliable heart. It was wavering and Yeji didn't have the courage to let herself down. She eyed Ryujin and squeezed her eyes shut when she felt her heart swell. It was a feeling she hated; it made her feel very, very foolishly in love.

"...and then she just did it. Unbelievable." Ryujin took a sip of her can of coke and Yeji only snapped out of her thoughts when she offered her some. Yeji shook her head.

"We should do that sometime," Ryujin mumbled.

The frown on Yeji's forehead made Ryujin chuckle.

"Skinny dipping," she said, "we should do that."

"Skinny dipping?"

"Skinny dipping."

The driveway was abandoned and somehow the dark made Yeji feel uneasy, as if Ryujin could very easily kidnap her right in this instant, strip her off her clothes and throw her in ice cold water. Everything sounded very appealing, except for the water.

Ryujin jumped off the hood of the car and went to Yeji's side, tugging her shirt.

"What do you think?"

"About what?"

"Skinny dipping!"

"We're not -"

"Let's go."

The car door opened and Ryujin held out one arm, a gesture for her to get in, like Yeji was some kind of princess.

Before she knew it, Yeji was in the passenger seat heading to nowhere with Ryujin holding her hand.

———

It was strange. Yeji had witnessed a sweat-soaked Ryujin undressing herself after hours at the gym day by day before heading for a shower in their shared apartment, her clothes as much as Yeji's thoughts scattered everywhere.

Now she got a shirt thrown to her face and the same Ryujin clad in underwear in front of her, but it felt so different she had to swallow hard. She gripped the shirt tightly.

"Don't tell me you're chickening out now."

"I'm not," she protested, pulling down her own pants. She was about to take off her shirt when she felt Ryujin's hands gripping the hems of it.

"Let me help you then," she grinned. Yeji raised her arms to let the shirt pass and shivered when their eyes met. Something was definitely different.

All she heard were the faint brushings of leaves against the wind and it made her all the more conscious of her breathing. Yeji felt like she was running out of air and that her heart was pounding so hard, Ryujin was able to hear its rapid beating.

"You want to get naked now?"

She stared at Ryujin. "What?!"

Ryujin's laugh echoed through the woods and she looked at Yeji with the most mischievous grin.

"It's not skinny dipping if you're not naked, stupid."

"Oh. Right."

"So?"

"You go in first."

The water sent waves of chills down her body the moment she went in, hand holding tight onto Ryujin's. It left her with an odd sense of relief, her fear leaving along with the shivers when she got used to the cold. Ryujin's skin was whiter than she remembered in the dark.