Little Spider

At nine o'clock the next morning, Rory is sitting in her lab, face turned down looking into a microscope, thinking about a certain blonde woman.

"Gosh, she was beautiful," Rory mumbles to herself.

"Sorry, what was that? Didn't quite catch it," a raspy unfamiliar voice says.

"Oh, jesus!" Rory yells. She turns around, and standing there is the Black Widow. "W-what are you doing here at my place of work, M-miss Black Widow?"

"Hm, you're cute, Arachnid."

"Would you keep your voice down!" Her pitch is an octave higher than usual. "And it's Arachnoid. I resemble a spider. I'm not actually a spider. Oid, not id."

"Oh, okay. So like hemorrhoids," the redhead shrugs. Rory responds with a glare.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be off saving the world or something?"

"Nothing to save it from at the moment. Thought I'd do a little digging to pass the time," she shrugs. "Rory Jade LaCroix. Born September 30, 1996. About 5'8", 150ish pounds. Your parents, James and Diana LaCroix, died in a car accident when you were seventeen, although that was likely a cover story. Your sister Hailey passed later that night in the hospital from her injuries. Three years ago, your girlfriend, Abby Smith, was murdered. You were the prime suspect. The case has since run cold. You have enhanced abilities such as super strength, web production, magnified senses, and even more that aren't yet on file."

Rory is tense and on edge at the mention of her family. Nobody talks about her family. "Alright, okay, I get it-"

"You attended Columbia University with a double major in Biomedical Engineering and Chemical Engineering. You also had minors in computer science, forensic science, and psychology. You really took advantage of that full ride they gave you, huh? Good for you, I respect that. Now you work here. Duquesne Scientific Advancements. They pay pretty well, but you're bored here, aren't you? Can't blame you. I've never been one to sit behind a desk, either."

"What's your point, Widow," Rory asks with a clenched jaw. "I already knew you were looking into me."

"Oh, you did? And how did you know that?" she quirks a brow. Rory doesn't let herself be intimidated, instead relaxing her shoulders and falling into a mindset of playful banter.

"Since you clearly know so much about me, why don't you tell me?" she smirks. If the redhead doesn't know about EDNA, she'd rather keep it that way. It could be quite advantageous. The Widow returns the smirk.

"You're quite a character, LaCroix. You could be a useful asset to us."

"And if I don't want to join SHIELD?"

Natasha bristles at the fact that Rory knows the name of the top secret organization, but she doesn't show it. Rory is extremely intelligent. She knows a lot more than she lets on.

"Well, it's your decision, of course. But I'm sure my sister would love to see you around more often."

"Sister? I don't know your sist– oh. You mean the blonde? From the other night?"

"Mhm."

"Huh. Um, well, I'll think about it, Miss Black Widow. For now, I should really get back to work."

"Alright, then. I'll see you soon, LaCroix." The redhead leaves the lab, and Rory lets out a shiver. That was fucking terrifying.

~

"She certainly didn't jump at the opportunity to join SHIELD," Natasha tells Nick. "But I think she'll come around. She's too smart for the job she has now. Too energetic. She's like a little puppy, it's disgusting. She wants to get out and do more good, I know it. And she's got a major crush on Yelena, so."

"Oh, joy. So you recruited a lovesick puppy?" Director Fury grumbles with a frown.

"Hey, this was your idea," she smirks.

"I suppose it was. What did you tell her?"

"I told her that I know who she is," Natasha shrugs, "And that she'd be useful here."

The Director hums in thought. "Don't lose her, Romanoff. I want this kid on my side."

~

"EDNA, who's she talking to?" Rory whispers as she watches the redhead move gracefully down the crowded New York streets.

"She is texting a contact saved as 'YB'. The text reads 'I'm being followed'."

"Oh, shit," Rory mutters.

"YB says 'By whom?' The target says 'A knockoff Spiderman'."

"Oh that is so rude," Rory whines.

"Would you like me to implode the cellular device? It will not kill her, but it will do some serious damage."

"No thank you, EDNA. That's very sweet of you, though."

Despite her cover being blown, Rory continues to move from rooftop to rooftop, wondering where the redheaded SHIELD agent will lead her.

The woman enters a worn down apartment building, and Rory watches from a nearby roof. After a few minutes, nothing happens so she moves closer. She uses her advanced hearing to locate the Widow's voice. Once she does, she crouches down on the fire escape, peeking in through the window. She listens intently to the conversation inside.

"How long was she following you?"

"I don't know. I didn't see her for the last few blocks. I think I might've lost her."

"Hm, or you're losing your edge and she's standing right outside that window," the blonde says, pointing to where Rory is currently crouched down out of sight. Every muscle in her body is tense, but relaxes when she realizes that they don't actually know she's there.

"Fuck off, Yelena." The sisters move onto a more mundane conversation as Rory drifts off into her thoughts. Yelena. It's nice to put a name to the face. Holy shit I feel like a stalker right now, she thinks to herself. Clearly they don't think Rory is a threat, she realizes.

She sighs, feeling like she's invading their privacy, even though she's just trying to protect herself. She moves to make her escape, and accidentally knocks over a potted plant that she hadn't seen. Oh shit. With her heart thrumming in her ears, she doesn't hear the footsteps approaching.

"Oh, come on! That was my favorite plant!" the blonde–Yelena–complains.

"Um...oops?" Rory shrugs. "I was actually just leaving, so..."

"Nuh-uh. Come inside. Come. We need to have a talk, little spider."

"Yes, ma'am," Rory deflates.