A quick update

Hello everyone!

First off can I just say I'm really sorry for being gone so long!

I know you are probably wondering where I've been for the past year, so I thought I'd give you a quick update. So I finished and passed all my A-levels and took a gap year, where I've been working, getting some gigs and generally getting on with my life.

Another thing you're probably wondering is why I haven't updated in such a long time. This one will take a bit longer to explain...

So I have been writing drafts, and I am still writing this story, fear not, but my increased business combined with crippling ADHD and my realisation at my past poor writing quality, means that I've decided to go backwards before forwards, and make my book basically what I like to call 'more readable'.

This means I am going back to the start and shortening/editing/splitting my chapters up cause they are bloody long (and this book is aimed at 10-13 year olds (roughly) so 8000 word chapters might be a bit long 😂)

Also, from where this version of the book has finished, I am trying to create a cypher for the scorpion unit communication system. And with me being the opposite of a 'mathematical genius' (hence why I chose English, Music and Politics A-Levels and absolutely anything but maths and Science) I'm struggling a bit with that.

Another big issue, is that I feel like this book lacks depth and authenticity at the moment...

As I get older and more socially aware/generally aware of how the world works, I realise I've set myself a pretty big challenge creating two main characters that I have very little in common with, in terms of culture and experiences (other than the fact we were all teenage girls at one point or another) and as I read back on my writing I feel like it is pretty evident that I lack the understanding of Italian and Spanish culture (some parts (at least to me) come across as a little patronising and not offensive but a bit insensitive).

The last thing I want to do, is create stereotypical and culturally insensitive characters, so I am doing my best to reach out to both my friends and other people in my life who may be more able to closely relate to the girls' experiences to ask them for advice and assistance.

I am also doing my part of learning more about Italian and Spanish Culture/Language/History and locations (The locations in this book I am actually planning on visiting, starting this summer with Malaga and hopefully sometime next year I can get to Talamone and Rome and get some hands on experience spending time, experiencing and maybe even living in each country for a little while in the future.

That was the big one for me. I really want to make this book work, and make this a good book, not some washed out stereotype! I will do anything to get it right and that includes asking you guys for pointers so please if you have any, let me know!

This book may take longer to complete than we all expected, but I am certain it is for a good reason, because I want to do my best for you guys and write you a book that is culturally accurate, a book that you want to read and a book that you want others to read.

I hope you're all doing well! I will update you when I have more news on the re-write but until then, take care and happy reading, writing and living!

Nieve 😊