We're Here Princess

After Hotch informed us on a new break in the case we all hopped into SUVs and drove down to the Brunswick PD station. I was in a car with Rossi and Spence. Wait, I can't call him Spence. At work, I have to call him Reid or Spencer so they won't think anything is going on between us. Though I secretly wished there was.

"So, How do you know each other?" Rossi said.

"What?" I say in a concerned voice. Crossing my fingers that he doesn't suspect anything.

"When Reid walked into the briefing room he said that you too have met before. I was just trying to make conversation." He sounded hurt at my response.

Spence chimed in, "I knew her when we were kids. Nothing more." I sighed in relief that I didn't have to explain. This was gonna be a long 2 hours. I let myself drift off to sleep on the soft leather of the car seat, into another flashback.

It was the fourth of July, just weeks before Spencer would leave for college, and we sat down to eat dinner. Pasta salad, ribs, and beans were displayed on the table just as always. My family and Spence's made it a tradition every holiday to do a big family dinner.

I looked over at Spencer sitting next to me. He was pushing his food around with his fork and I could tell that something wasn't right. I tapped his knee underneath the table so our families wouldn't notice that anything was wrong. I didn't want them to worry. I could tell when something was up with Spence. He would fidget with anything he could get his hands on. Sometimes he bounced his knee or picked his nails. I could pick up on his energy when it started.

I mouthed, "Do you want to go to my room?"

He nodded. When he stood up everyone stared, as he had made quite a loud noise when he pushed his chair out. He walked out of the room without saying a word, looking at the floor. Something was really up.

A few minutes later I 'accidentally' spilled my punch all over my jean shorts. I asked my mom if I could go change. She said yes. Of course, she didn't want her only daughter to smell like fruit punch for the rest of the night. I got up quietly and excused myself.

Rushing to my room, I swung open the door to find Spence pacing and playing with his fingers. I shut the door and grabbed his hands. I held them in mine to signal to him that he was safe. I walked us over to the edge of the bed so we were sitting beside one another.

Still holding his hands I said, "Are you okay? What's going on? You're worrying me?"

He centered himself and took 3 deep breaths, like I had taught him, "I'm so sorry." His voice cracked. It sounded like he was crying.

"Sorry for what?" I said confused. Spence had never cried in front of me before.

"I'm sorry for leaving." The tears started dripping down his face. "I never thought I would have to do any of this alone."

I took my thumb and wiped the tears off his left cheek. "Spence, you have nothing to be sorry for. I can't begin to tell you how much I am going to miss you." I said in an attempt to console him.

His voice sounded strained like he was holding back more tears. "Are you mad at me?"

I responded fast, placing my hand on his leg, "Spencer Reid, I could never be mad at you for succeeding. You deserve to prove to everyone how much of a genius you really are. Caltech is lucky to have you and I could never stand in the way of what you are supposed to achieve."

He hugged me tight. Which he never did. It was always a handshake goodbye. Never a hug.

When we pulled away from each other I lingered close to his face. I felt his breath on mine and felt butterflies in my stomach. We remained there until Spencer locked his lips on mine. His lips felt soft, but chapped, like he hadn't used chapstick in a while. I let him kiss me. I felt his soft nose press against mine, He ran his hands through my hair and down the back of my neck. While I traced my hand along the side of his face.

I pulled away.

"We're here princess." Rossi said.

I was startled awake.