To Smile is To Love

It was always sunny in Heaven.

The grass was always green.

The flowers were always in bloom.

Angels were always smiling.

That is, until you came along.

You weren't exactly welcomed into Heaven. Not willing, that is.

You hadn't done anything wrong, per se. It was only. . . who you were that made everyone a bit. . . iffy.

You looked like an angel, sure. You were a beautiful boy, with beautiful white fluffy wings, and a golden halo like any other angel. You were nice, of course. You're father was a lovely man, absolutely.

Your mother, however. . .

She didn't exactly bear white wings and a halo.

You were something no one else had quite seen before.

And that made angels. . .

A bit upset.

The day everyone discovered who you truly were, they weren't pleased.

They rioted. They were absolutely disgusted by the very idea of a creation between an angel and a devil. They were disgusted at the idea of a child between an angel and a devil, to be more specific.

Devils were considered the lowest of the low. They were beneath scum. Dirt was more precious to an angel than the life of a devil was. To even hear that you were the child of a devil, was like hearing that you were the child of trash.

You had lived a rather nice life in Heaven until the day it was discovered.

See, in Heaven, all angels consider themselves somewhat family. It's difficult to make an enemy in Heaven. Everyone cares for each other, and everyone loves each other. Everyone smiles at one another.

But you?

They called you blasphemous.

A pile of nothing but everything wrong.

You were what was wrong with the world.

A mistake.

A sin.

A crime against humanity-

No.

A crime against Gods.

With such strong anger they held towards devils, they found your mother and slaughtered her by stoning.

She was a tempting whore, they said.

She must be eliminated before she causes another to sin, they said.

They sent her dead body back to Hell, and soon went after your father next.

His punishment was just as painful, seeing as they tore off his wings.

They grabbed at them, the Archangels, they did. And instead of using their swords to do it swiftly, they taunted him by making it slow.

He doesn't deserve these wings, they said.

He'll learn his lesson better this way, they said.

And he was killed slowly.

Harshly.

Painfully.

Bloodily.

You, fortunately, did not have to bear witness to the bloodshed.

But you did hear it.

You heard the screams. The pleads.

You heard the thoughts and the prayers.

The begging for them to not hurt you. They begged them to promise they would not hurt you. Because everyone knows, an angel cannot lie once making a promise.

All of it, you heard.

And you didn't know the Archangels felt sympathy for them; that they felt sorry for you.

In the end, they did promise them.

You didn't know this, however.

In the scheme of everything, you were deadly afraid. You thought they would kill you in cold blood, just as slowly and painfully as they did your father. So, as they menacingly approached you next, you managed to steal a sword from one of the Archangels.

And after that, you banished yourself to Earth.

You were the first angel to willingly become a fallen angel.

You weren't sure where they left your father's body after they killed him, and you never saw your mother afterwards.

You never searched for them, anyway. You knew it was pointless.

You weren't sure what to do once you got to the human realm.

You landed somewhere in the woodlands, and you later discovered you were in Great Britain.

Though, that didn't matter much, did it?

No, you don't think it did.

All that you had was a deadly sword in it's scabbard, and yourself.

When you arrived, you liked to watch birds go on about flying. It was a nice distraction, and you liked to think about how much better it was on Earth than in Heaven. It was more natural. Untouched. Not guided by rules.

At least, it wasn't in the woodlands. You liked it there.

Though, it was lonely.

Because you were alone.

No more talks with father.

No more hugs from mother.

Alone.

You arrived on Earth when you had eight years of age.

Now, you were thirteen, and you still watched the birds.

It wasn't always sunny here.

The grass wasn't always green, either.

The flowers weren't always in bloom.

And you could find no one who smiled.

So you later decided to go out and explore.

Maybe then, you could find someone who smiles.

Maybe, you would be able to find someone who smiles at you.

Maybe. . .

Maybe.