Chapter 14: Expect the Unexpected

It had been a few days since the "Eel freakout" and Summer and Riptide were currently curled up in their nest, sleeping peacefully for the first time in quite a while.

As the two mates slumbered on, Aggro kept a close eye on the two of them. For she knew something about them that the others did not.

Her eyes gleamed with happiness as her gaze rested upon the two eggs curled protectively between Riptide and Summer's intwined tails.

She cast one last glance over her shoulder before heading over to her own nest and curling up, letting her eyes slip shut as the pul of sleep took her under.

The next day Aggro, Cutter, Burple, Winger, and Dak returned from a mission while Riptide and Summer stayed behind, for reasons only Aggro knew. When they got back to the Roost, they saw Riptide and Summer cooing over something in their nest which for the past several months at least one of them was always inside, and they refused to let anyone else near.

"I can't believe it's time!" Summer and Riptide squealed, causing Aggro to smile brightly at the two soon-to-be-parents.

"Time for what?" Dak asked, causing them to turn around and see the others. "What are you girls squealing about?"

Riptide and Summer started growling and Aggro patted over to calm the two distressed Fastfins down.

"Why are you two growling at us? And..." Cutter started to say, but stopped in mid-sentence as his eyes went wide. "Are those eggs?" He spluttered in shock.

"You said it's time, so does that mean they are about to hatch?" Aggro squealed, and the two Fastfins nodded while looking at the others.

"I want to see!" Burple shouted, coming closer, only to be confronted with two frosty glares and a waterblast to the face.

"H2OH NO YOU DON'T!" Riptide and Summer both yelled, waterblasting Burple and Cutter out the door. "You can't see them until they've hatched!"

"Why didn't you waterblast us out?" Aggro asked them, sounding a bit confused.

"Because you're like a sister to us," Riptide smiled before being interrupted before she could explain about Winger and Dak.

"What kind of birdbrained male got our sister pregnant?" They shouted in outrage. "I'll kill them!"

Riptide's face screwed up in fury and she growled lowly, lashing her prehensile tail back and forth like an angry cat.

"We got each other pregnant! No males involved!" Riptide and Summer shouted, shrieking in rage before waterblasting them out of the sleep cave and getting Aggro to close the door.

"Anyway, as our sister, you can stay. But you just have to stay further back so we are the first thing they see when they hatch." Summer told her with a gesture of her wings to her and her mate's two eggs.

"You got it, Sum." Aggro said, shuffling a couple steps backwards but still close enough to see what was happening.

"It's happening!" Summer and Riptide both squealed as the eggs started to shake and shutter in their nests. A few hours later the eggs hatched and the two Fastfins smiled warmly down at their two daughters. The one with Riptide was a sky blue Fastfin with green swirls under her wings and tail, while the one with Summer looked like her with sky blue streaks under her wings and tail.

"What are you going to name them? Aggro asked them curiously while patting over to get a closer look at the two baby Fastfins.

"The sky-colored one is Sapphire," Riptide replied while looking down at the small water dragon curled protectively in between her forepaws.

"While this one is Tempest," Summer smiled warmly and crooned softly, looking down at the baby Fastfin sleeping peacefully in between her forepaws just like Sapphire was. "Can you let the others know that they can come in and see Tempest and Sapphire?" Riptide asked, nodding to the Fire Fury, who smiled and stood to her feet.

"Sure, I'll let them know." Aggro replied, nodding her head and heading to the door to let the others inside, not knowing that a visitor was also standing in the entrance of the sleep cave alongside the other Rescue Riders.