Chapter Five

Professor Ilane cursed in an unknown language. "That's why Asha was the only one I got! Seren always thinks he can do what he wants."

"If I may..." A figure with long blond hair stuck his head in our view. "It's only your second time out in the field, Maedora. But I'm not here for you. Asha, come with me. Nori... go do something productive."

"Of course, Headmaster." Nori peeped, speeding away. "Nice meeting you, Asha! Good luck!"

The headmaster stared at me. "You're a bit- anticlimactic. Poor thing, look at your scars. I'm sorry on Mae's behalf." He then pulled me through the thick wall of fog that was behind the doors, leaving Ilane behind.

I nearly tripped on the wavy floor, struggling to catch my balance. Looking up, I saw... huh?

My roommates at the World School were standing in a line, sweating like they were about to be shot. Ella, Hansley, Jas, and- someone else who I hadn't met.

A tall kid in a black magician-type cloak and silvery hair did a quick bow. "Allo! My name is Olive! I use they/them, and I'm from Ireland. I went to the World School for two summers, and now I'm 'ere!"

"Hi-" I started.

The headmaster cut in front of me. "These are Horse, Bow, Fluff, and Olive. Guys, this is Asha. Also, I'm Headmaster Seren."

He's quick to pick favorites. Birdie noted after being silent for a while, making me jump slightly. Calls me 'Egg,' because the only thing he remembers about me is that I'm allergic to them. That– and something from when I was six that we do not talk about.

I giggled. "Uh- yeah. Hi." Birdie was seriously going to make everyone think I was crazy. "Wasn't I supposed to meet with 'the Board' or something?"

Headmaster Seren dramatically gestured to the wooden panel hanging around his neck. "I am 'The Board."

I must've looked so incredulous. Ella snickered.

Professor Ilane stepped forward. "Now is not the time for your jokes, Seren." She grabbed his shoulders, pulled him close, and whispered, "Where is the prince?" in a harsh tone.

He immediately turned stony-faced. "Um. I'll take care of that. You aren't needed here any longer."

Ilane sighed. "What do you have against me? Asha and I still need to meet with the Board."

"Aren't- we, like, late?" I whispered loudly.

They both whipped their heads toward us.

Soren rubbed the back of his head. "Actually, I just got here. We're all late."

Ilane sighed. "It's an individual meeting. We'll go first."

Someone with pale blue skin and shimmery scales on their arms stuck one arm out of nowhere. "Y'all gonna talk out there or come in?"

« ❖❖❖ »

One word—chaotic.

There were five chairs in a semi-circle, facing an auditorium of seats. Small human-like creatures with wings, pixies? were fluttering around at incredible speeds, jotting down little notes.

But those chairs- there was no one sitting in them. Instead, the Board was up and walking around. They seemed to be organizing a party. A woman who looked perfectly normal called to someone on a ladder. She laughed, and her eyes glowed, like they were expressing her emotions.

I stood still for just a second, taking in the wonders of the place.

Everything seemed to happen so perfectly. I marveled as someone jumped to catch a book to was being thrown, and passed it along a line to be sorted.