07

I rub my eyes and stretch my limbs, trying to shake off the remnants of sleep that cling to me. The morning sun casts a warm glow across my room, reminding me that a new day has dawned. As I begin to fully awaken, I notice a shadowy figure in the room, causing me to startle for a moment.

"Jesus," I mutter, but quickly realize that it's only Shaion, the maid. Her presence puts me at ease, and I let out a relieved sigh. "You scared me for a moment there," I say with a small smile.

Shaion returns the smile. "Apologies for that. You're finally awake," she says, her voice carrying a hint of urgency. "Get dressed quickly. Gael is waiting for you."

I glance around the room, searching for my phone to check the time. To my dismay, I remember that I left it at my shop the previous day. "What time is it even?" I ask, feeling a twinge of anxiety at the thought of being late for whatever Gael has planned.

"It's 7 in the morning," Shaion replies promptly. "Now hurry, Gael has a lot of things to do today."

"What's like killing more people?"

Shaion only shares a small smile that she tries to hide. "Please get ready."

With a shrug of my shoulders, I swing my legs out of bed and begin the process of getting ready and dressed. I don't really know what Gael has planned out for today, but I'm guessing it has to do with whatever the meeting was about. Besides, I'm glad to finally leave the house after being here for what seemed like a week now.

I make my way downstairs and I find a sleek black car waiting at the entrance of the mansion. Kingsley stands by the open door, offering me a warm greeting. "Good morning, Leilani. Sleep well?" he asks with a friendly smile.

"Like a baby," I reply, a hint of sarcasm lacing my words.

"Good to know," Kingsley responds, his tone understanding. "You can get into the car now."

I step inside the car and find myself face-to-face with an unexpected sight. Gael is already seated in the passenger seat, his gaze meeting mine through the rearview mirror. We exchange a silent, intense stare, a wordless exchange that carries a mix of tension and curiosity. Neither of us speaks, yet the unspoken words hang heavy in the air.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see when we get there," he says, signaling Troy to start the car.

"Where are the others?" I look out the window.

"Can you stop talking?" Troy says, annoyed.

"Sounds snappy. Didn't drink from your sippy cup?"

My body moves forward from the car stopping because Troy hit the damn breaks too hard. I meet his glare and I only smile back. Gael rolls his eyes.

"Troy, step being emotional. We need you to be level headed for where we are going. There could be cops around."

"You should have sent one of the guys to scope out the place before we go."

"I did."

I try to make out what the two are even talking about. Whenever they are around me, they speak in code like they don't really want to know what they are talking about. So much for being part of the gang I guess.

Troy breaks the silence as he starts the engine again. The rumble of the car fills the space, momentarily drowning out any potential conversation. I glance away from Gael's piercing gaze and settle into my seat, feeling a sense of anticipation mingled with a touch of apprehension.

As the car glides forward, I can't help but steal occasional glances at Gael through the rearview mirror. His features reflect an enigmatic mix of emotions—amusement, curiosity, and something deeper that I can't quite decipher. It's as if we're engaged in an unspoken dialogue, each of us trying to unravel the other's thoughts.