Chapter Three: It's Killing For Sport

"I need to see a badge. Sir, Ma'am. I need to see a badge."

"Badge my ass, what the hell just happened?!" I yell at the workers (mostly as Claire).

"Ma'am!" The security guard puts a hand on my shoulder.

"There were thermal cameras all over that paddock. She did not just disappear!" I push the security guard off me.

"It must have been some kind of a technical malfunction." Claire sighs.

"Were you not watching? She marked up that wall as a distraction. She wanted us to think she escaped!" Owen yelled angrily.

"Hold on. We are talking about an animal here." Claire argues.

I roll my eyes.

"A highly intelligent animal." Owen shot back.

"400 meters to the beacon." A worker interrupts.

I look at the screen. A group of people armed with stun devices were shown.

"You're going after her with non-lethals..." Owen said, surprised.

"We have 26 million dollars invested in that asset. We can't just kill it!" Masrani (a man we see frequently around the raptor paddock) says.

"Those men are gonna die." I seethe.

"300 meters to the beacon."

"You need to call this mission off right now." Owen demands.

"They're right on top of it." The worker nervously says.

"Hey! You heard him! Call it off now!" I slam my fist into a desk.

"Both of you are not in control here!" Claire says.

I turn my face back to the screen. The commander picks up a tracker attached to a large piece of scaly dinosaur flesh.

"Blood's not clotted yet. It's close." Commander speaks.

"What is that?" Masrani asks.

"Her tracking implant. She clawed it out." I say, still startled.

"How would it know to do that?" Claire turns to me.

"She remembered where they put it in." I roll my eyes.

Suddenly, there's a roar and I pull my eyes back up to the screen.

The commander is yelling along with his team, and he's picked up off the ground and lands again. The last thing we see before the camera goes static is the Indominus Rex's foot coming down, presumably crushing the commander.

I watch in horror as the team is destroyed by the dinosaur. I buried my head in the crook of Owen's neck, I couldn't bear to watch any longer.

"Evacuate the island." Owen says firmly to the staff.

"We'd never reopen." Claire worries.

"You made a genetic hybrid, raised it in captivity.
She is seeing all of this for the first time. She doesn't even know what she is. Trust me, that's the least of your worries." I tell her, moving away from Owen.

"She will kill everything that moves." Owen adds

"Do you think the animal is contemplating its own existence?" Masrani asked unhelpfully.