A June Wedding Mayhem contest✨WINNING ENTRY✨

Blossoms bound by fate: an unveiling love

The meanings of the Hindi words are in the comments!

***

As the blazing warmth of the sunny day conflagrated into the effervescent twilight, the symphony of colors danced across the sky's horizon, bathing the Goan beach in an ethereal sheen of glorious luminance.

Streaks of rosy pink and tinting red blended to cast a spell in the mind of Avery, who stood beside the window, basking in the glory of the open sky, away from the hustle and bustle of the loud city.

Meanwhile, her best friend and neighbor Nina sounded anxious and nervous as she talked to her mother, a few minutes before the arrival of the Baarat. The tinkle of the ringing Jhumkas echoed amidst the chaos and chatter. The room was masked in the rich floral aroma of Jasmine Gajras.

Everything from the costumes to the customs in this wedding was unknown to Avery, who had been raised in a small town in Western Europe. But learning about Indian cultures and rituals was fun and exciting for her, especially when she felt so beautiful wearing their traditional dresses. Like right now, when she was wearing a beautiful bridesmaid's green saree. Her feet were still paining from the hours-long dancing and zesty celebration of the Sangeet night yesterday.

Seeing her childhood friend so jittery, Avery clapped her hands loudly to get the attention of the people present in the room.

"Everyone, I think it's time to give the beautiful bride some time alone, yeah? I need to talk to her about something important."

Nina's mother glanced at her to wordlessly ask if it would be fine to leave her alone with her best friend when the Baarat would be arriving any minute now. Nina smiled edgily, and nodded, hugging her mother.

The space got empty within seconds, and the loud noise of buzzing chitchat was replaced with utter silence.

Nina's fingers twiddled with each other, her breath coming out in short puffs as a small awkward laugh escaped her mouth, "Tell me, why didn't I choose to elope as you did? It would have been less stressful."

Avery went to stand behind Nina, their gazes meeting through the full-length mirror. She massaged her best friend's shoulders through the feather-like silky red blouse which was laden heavy with traditional sequins and gilded beads.

"Just think about the moment Pawan sees you in this heavenly get-up. Trust me, you will not regret tying the knot traditionally," Avery assured, reminding her about her husband-to-be.

Nina's face lit up at the mention of the love of her life. Her features softened and the earlier tension slowly vacated her body. Nina and Pawan had met through an Arranged marriage set-up, a concept that was yet again foreign to Avery. But through the long courtship period of two years, these love birds had carved their way into each other's hearts and souls.

The peculiar musky scent of auburn henna which decorated both of their hands infiltrated faintly, and Nina glowed notably, all thanks to the traditional turmeric paste that had been applied to her body at the Haldi Rasm, which was held a few days before the wedding day.

Nina asked, appearing to be muddled, "Tell me honestly. Does this jewelry look too over the top?" She touched the heavy diamond necklace which was a flawless selection of art, just like every other piece of jewelry she wore. All of them looked perfect with the voluminous red and green lehenga.

"It looks amazing, just like you are, little Miss. Know-it-all," Avery smiled playfully, teasing her as she adjusted the pearly Nathni which connected Nina's nose piercing with the earrings.