Ch. 2

"Alright, first run. She's coming around. Can you hear me, doc?" Someone asked, shining a light in Aurora's eyes.

"I'm good." She answered, holding up a hand. Confusion started at first, and then she remembered that she was in her avatar. She looked around the room and carefully sat up.

"Alright, doc, test run. Right arm up. Good. Left arm. Good. Now, wiggle your toes. Nice, let's stand. Good, good. You're a natural." The lab coats instructed, and she followed. "Now out that door and down the hall of the lockers. Should have clothes in there."

Aurora slid off the bed and went to the locker room. She quickly changed and stepped outside.

"Are you Doctor kane?" Another avatar asked.

"Yes, I am." She answered. Taking a closer look, she recognized this avatar. "You're Miles Quaritch."

"Why yes, I am. A version of him anyway." He smiled, showing his fangs and looking proud of himself. She narrowed her eyes.

"Arms out. Let me look." She said, pushing his arms up and circling around him. After a few minutes of inspection, she was satisfied. "Your avatar seems to be healthy. It was my first."

"So I'm your guinea pig." He joked. Something was off about this marine.

"Most definitely. We've never downloaded someone's consciousness and memories to put them in a new body before." She said, walking around as he followed.

"Say, you wanna go on my next run with me? Some of the other marines are going to try and wrangle an Ikran." He asked and she thought for a moment.

"Yeah.  Okay. " She answered.

"Good. We leave tomorrow at eclipse." Quaritch said before walking away. She had a gut feeling that she was signing up for more than she bargained for.