Chapter V: Interrogation

"I'm honored to be in the presence of the entire royal family and the Captain. You must think highly of me to allow such a pleasure," his slimy and raspy voice ground out.

Lothel kept her dagger resting on his neck, "If we are speaking honestly here, I could handle you myself. It was seen how easily I disposed of your kin. The Prince and Captain are not back up, should you try anything unwise, but are merely present in an observational capacity."

"Oh, yes, I forgot I was speaking to the myth herself, Her Highness and heir to the throne, the Princess Crowned With Flowers!" Mocked the orc. "General of the Armies of Greenwood, second only to the king himself! The same army rumored to be made up of the most skilled, synchronized, and deadly warriors of the three Elven realms! The one who fought against the Northern Fire Drakes, aligned herself with Men at the end of the Second Age, and even escaped Gundabad after surviving the torture of a year! She who has made a name for herself among all races as the bringer of death to her enemies! I wonder, is your mother proud of all you have accomplished?" He drew out the fifth word of the last sentence.

The elleth kept a veneer of calm over her face, unyielding in not taking the bait, "Thank you for telling me about myself, but you forgot a few things. One of them being that I have a low tolerance for those who threaten the safety of my lands. You claim you know of the power of Greenwood, yet you decided to challenge it."

"Such is the nature of evil." Thranduíl broke in. "Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall at night." The king's heavy words were only strengthened by his circular pacing. The captive strained against the silver blade. "So it ever was. So will it always be. In time, all foul things come forth."

"You were tracking a company of 13 Dwarves. Why?" The princess broke in and questioned.

The captive writhed, "Not 13. Not anymore. The young one, the black-haired archer, we stuck him with a Morgul shaft." The redhead trained her eye on him, obviously affected. "The poison is in his blood. He'll be choking on it soon."

"Answer the question, filth." The Captain whispered.

"I do not answer to dogs, She-Elf!" He snarled in the tongue of Mordor before switching to Westron, "But if you're feeling in an inquisitive mood, ask your princess what that word means to her!" He attempted to struggle against Lothel's iron grip, but he failed. Tauriel drew her long dagger and continued staring her down.

Her brother spoke, "I would not antagonize the Captain or the Princess." He warned.

"You like killing things, orc?" The younger elleth asked, and the prisoner snarled while liking his teeth. "You like death? Then let me give it to you!" She rushed forward and readied her blade for a kill, only to stop when the king said,

"Farn! Tauriel! Ego! Gwao hi" [(Enough! Be off! Go now!)] His cold eyes and crossed arms betrayed no emotion but ire. His daughter felt the same. Though she was Captain and a good warrior, she was still young and let her emotions control her. Even now, as she slowly stood up and eyed the growling creature, Lothel could almost hear her thirst for the orc's blood. She stalked off, and the eyes of Legolas followed her retreating figure.

Thranduíl spoke, "I do not care for one dead Dwarf. Answer the question. You have nothing to fear. Tell us what you know, and I will set you free."

"You had orders to kill them. Why?" The princess knew it was something to do with Thorin, but she lacked the knowledge of the exact end goal. "What is Thorin Oakenshield to you?"

"The dwarf runt-" The orc spat the word "-will never be king.

There it was. The truth revealed itself, as it always did, "King? There is no King Under the Mountain, nor will there ever be." The elleth told the captured one as her father began his pacing again.

"None would dare enter Erebor whilst the dragon lives!" Cried her brother, but she knew otherwise.

The prisoner started to struggle again, "You know nothing! Your world will burn."

"What are you talking about? Speak!" The ellon continued.

The orc let out a cruel laugh, "Our time has come again. My master serves the One." She and the King knew the One being talked about. "Do you understand now, Elfling? Death is upon you! The flames of war are upon you!"

Faster than an eye can register, Lothel moved her blade across the neck of the orc. The sound of a blade moving and a body hitting the floor made the ruler of the Woodland Realm turn. She held the body-less head, and the decapitated and writhing corpse lay at her feet.

"Why did you do that?!" Legolas looked at his sister, annoyance lacing his tone. "You promised to set him free."

The Crown Princess wiped her dagger on her sleeves impassively, "And I did. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders." She stepped on the corpse to stop the twitching.

He protested, "There was more the Orc could tell us."

"There was nothing more he could tell me," her voice still lacking emotion.

The king and his second-in-command walked off the platform, the latter twirling her dagger before sheathing it. "What did he mean by the flames of war?" The prince persisted.

"It means they intend to release a weapon so great," Thranduíl seethed, "it will destroy all before it." The guards moved to clean up the mess on the dais. "I want the watch doubled at our borders. All roads, all rivers." He faced his son. "Nothing moves, but I hear of it. No one enters this kingdom. And no one leaves it." His icy gaze burned into Legolas. His sister's eyes weren't as cold but held a deep secret neither were to share with him. He saw Lothel and his father walking toward the Private Wing of the Palace, resigning him to call for the gates' closure.

"Holo in ennyn! Tiro i defnin hain na ganed en-Aran," he told the Palace Guards before attempting to walk away. [(Close the gate! Keep it sealed by order of the King)]

"Man os Tauriel?" Elros questioned. [(What about Tauriel?)]

The prince froze immediately, "Man os sen?" [(What about her?)]

"Edevín eb enedhor na gû a megil. En ú-nandollen." [(She went into the forest armed with her bow and blade. She has not returned.)]

Legolas stalked out of the underground palace and gazed into the trees. "I am going after her. No one is to follow me, and only alert my father if I am not heard from by sundown. Until then, keep the gates shut."

"Yes, caun nin." [(Yes, my prince.)]