08

Beads of sweat fall down my back from being on edge. Hiding from people who want to kill us for some reason, being in an alley scared of my life, having Gael warm hands on my mouth. Gael shits his left from the spot, he releases a soft sigh like he was reliving some sort of tension. He glances around the space.

"They should be gone."

Finally, he takes his hands off my lips that tingle right after. He takes his gun close to him, looking at one end of the alley to the other end. He then signals me to follow him. We tread lightly as we make our way through the labyrinthine streets, the tension thick in the air. The gravity of the situation dawns on me, and a mixture of fear and curiosity churns within.

"Who are those people? I ask.

"I'm not sure."

I look at Gael and he seems to take notice at my patronizing stare.

He takes a breath. "I think they are my enemy gang. They want me dead for some reason."

"Geez, I wonder why."

He shakes his head, "Their leader is too much of a coward to face me so he gets his pawns to come and kill me. Weak ass."

"Why do they want you dead?" I can't help but inquire, the question slipping out before I have a chance to reconsider. Gael's gaze flickers to me, his expression inscrutable for a moment.

"I have some things that have made certain people mad."

We continue our cautious journey, each step a deliberate choice to evade any potential threats. The city seems different now, its familiar streets transformed into a treacherous maze, where danger could materialize at any moment. As we walk, I observe Gael, taking in his confident stride and alertness. There's an air of command about him, a presence that demands attention and respect. In this chaotic environment, it's clear that he navigates with an innate understanding of the rules, the players, and the risks.

As we step into the bustling street lined with rows of shops and the lively chatter of people, I can't help but feel a sense of relief. The tension that had gripped my entire being begins to dissipate, and I find solace in the ordinary sights and sounds around me. Gael, seemingly unbothered by the chaos we had just escaped, confidently puts his gun away and reaches for my hand, intertwining our fingers without a second thought.His touch, though unexpected, brings a strange warmth to my heart.

Without exchanging a single word, Gael guides me through the vibrant crowd, effortlessly maneuvering his way to a nearby cafe. The coolness of the air-conditioned interior greets us as we step inside. The aromatic scent of freshly brewed coffee permeates the air, mingling with the sweet aroma of pastries, creating an inviting atmosphere.

"What would you like to get?" he asks me.

"What?" I look at him and the shop owner smiling at us. "Why are you taking me to a boba shop? Aren't we supposed to be hiding--"

"I guess you don't want anything to drink." Gael goes to order a drink for himself.

I stand there confused. Didn't we just run for our lives from people trying to kill us? Why are we sitting down here grabbing some boba drinks?!? For some reason I feel the urge to go outside and catch my breath. I sit down on the pavement despite how dirty it is. My heart is still beating like I am still in fear like I was in the alleyway.

Gael comes to sit beside me. "Here." He hands me a drink.

"You actually bought something for me. How nice of you."

"Why do you say it like that?"

"You're the man who doesn't pay his gang a livable wage. This is a shock."

Gael smirks. "Seems like you are getting along with the gang well." He takes a seat beside me.

"Not really. Troy is an asshole."

"It seems like you think about that to everyone."

"Not Shaion and Kingsley...Yet."

Gael laughs and I'm kind of stunned to see him like this. He usually has to face. Angry and conceited, and sometimes lustful...

We sit like this for a moment. Then I hear a buzzing noise. I almost want to take out my phone until I see Gael take his phone out. I watch Gael as he speaks into the phone, his face contorted with a mix of sadness and anger. The words from the other end remain muffled, forming a wall between me and the source of his emotions. I can't help but wonder what he's hearing, what news has stirred up such intense reactions within him.

He finally ends the call, and his eyes meet mine. There's a flicker of vulnerability in his gaze, a glimpse into a world that he keeps hidden beneath his hardened exterior. In that moment, I see the weight he carries, the burdens that have shaped him into the person he is.

Without a word, Gael stands abruptly, the chair scraping against the floor as he pushes it back. His sudden movement startles me, and I instinctively rise from my seat, my heart quickening its pace. I can sense the urgency in his demeanor, the need to take action.

"What's going on?" I ask, my voice laced with concern. But Gael remains silent, his lips pressed into a firm line. The air around us feels heavy with unspoken words, a tension that demands answers. "Gael?"

"Let's go."

"Wait, isn't it dangerous to be out there in the open?"

"Troy and others have taken care of the shooters. But we need to hurry before the cops show up."

Gael tosses his barely touched boba drink aside.  We resume our walk down the bustling street, the sounds of sirens growing louder in the distance. I glance over my shoulder and notice a cop car approaching from behind. Panic bubbles within me, but Gael's demeanor remains unchanged. He seems unfazed, as if he's accustomed to these close encounters with law enforcement.

Before I can comprehend the situation fully, a car pulls up beside us. Gael opens the door, and without hesitation, he extends his hand, silently urging me to join him. I hesitate for a moment, torn between the desire to distance myself from this dangerous world and the connection I feel with Gael.

"Leilani?"

I turn to Gael, still waiting for me to come in. By the cops coming closer, I can see the fear shadow in his face. Perhaps he's not as powerful as I think he is. But still, something I've learned in my life living in this city is that the cops will always take sides with gangs like the Twilight gang.

I take a breath and place my hand in his, allowing him to guide me into the waiting vehicle. The car accelerates swiftly, leaving the approaching cop car behind, and my heart races with a blend of exhilaration and guilt.

Like I had made a mistake.

꧁꧂

hi! i hope you like this chapter. Thank you for the support!! Please vote, comment, and add this story to your library!