Stuck (Highfantasy Prompt)

My body crumpled as it pummeled into a solid surface. Quickly jumping to my feet, I observed the large room I had been transported.

A movement behind me caught my attention as I spun to face it.

My eyes quickly focused on a creature huddled in the far corner of the room. Its wide eyes stared at me with frightened curiosity. Instinctively, I sat down. Folding my feline legs below me, I tried to make myself as small as possible before speaking, "Hello."

The creature's eyes softened as it cocked its head sideways and unfurled itself. As it approached, it's form became clearer, and its tepid steps soon grew confident. It shook itself. The resulting wave of scales resembled that of a red flame flickering in a gentle breeze.

It stopped a few feet away and we stared at one another. Finally, it spoke, "Are you here to help me?"

I hesitated before I replied, "I thought I was brought here for you to help me."

The large lizard frowned. "Oh, well you should be able to leave through there," he nodded towards an open doorway.

Excitedly, I started to stand, but paused. "Well, what do you need help with?"

The lizard sighed, before replying, "I got stuck here years ago, and have not been able to leave." The sadness in his eyes deepened, "I just want to go home."

He slumped back down and curled into a pile of feathers, hiding his face in the process.

"How come you don't walk through the door, then?" I asked in confusion.

His muffled reply was barely audible, "I can't. Magic keeps me locked here."

"Well, I don't have any time restrictions. So, what if I stick around until I can help you?" I offered.

The lizard's eye peaked over his body, "You would do that for me?"

"Sure, I know what it's like to be abandoned somewhere by yourself. I'd hate to leave someone behind to the same fate," I smiled.

His head rose and he jumped up excitedly, "Oh thank you so much!"

I nodded and offered him my hand, "I'm Karasi, what should I call you?"

He gently curled his tail around my hand, "You can call me, Luck." He looked quizzically at me as I began to laugh.

...

It had been days since I first arrived, but Luck was still trapped. I could come and go as I pleased, running, and jumping to get used to my legs. However, I only did so while Luck slept. Otherwise, I could not enjoy a bit of freedom without having to see Luck staring enviously through the magic doorway that held him captive.

One day, as fate would have it, I found myself tempted to bang on the doorframe. I had decided I was going to bust him out by tearing down the doorway or the stone wall. By hand, if necessary. I found a tiny chisel and started carving a break point along the wall. However, my chisel broke and sparks dusted the air around me.

I quickly remembered the anti-magic netting that the Professor had used to capture the sphinx.

Running to my things, I rummaged through one of the bags that had been sucked through the portal with me. Inside, I found some devices. They looked exactly like the ones the Professor's crew had used, on the Sphinx. I leapt for joy.

Hearing my giddiness, Luck wondered over to me, "What is it?"

"Possibly the answer to your problems." I quickly replied, "Do you trust me?"

The lizard shrugged and let me lead him towards the door.

"Alright, so don't get too excited, but from what I have seen, these things have anti-magic abilities. So, if we can get them to work, we might be able to deactivate the magic shield holding you in here."

Luck's eyes widened in excitement, and he spun in a circle.

For the next few hours, Luck and I set about trying to figure out the devices.

Our luck paid off when we finally activated one and successfully maneuvered it as we needed.

Taking a breath, Luck waited patiently for me to start.

I quickly activated one and tossed it over Luck. Its tendrils shot out, and clung to him, just as the second one expanded and clasped together. The third device completed the netting, and I asked him to move.

As he moved, the netting moved with him, and we cheered.

We both turned towards the door. I walked through the doorway and turned back, waiting for him. Luck crept forward and stopped just on the other side of the door. We nodded together and I watched him close his eyes before he came forward.

My breath caught as his head slowly moved through the barrier. With every step, the netting seemed to fizzle away, and I watched him slowly transform into a majestic dragon.

I whispered his name and Luck squinted one of his eyes to look. Realizing it had worked, he leapt into the air and began to dance around the forest floor.

We embraced in triumph.

After a while of romping through the forest he finally led me to his home.

We traveled for a few days, camping along the way. Curled into one another at night, we would share stories and dreamt of what the future held for us in our freedom. On the fourth day we came upon a magnificent kingdom. Full of dragons and natural wonders, it felt like a paradise I never wanted to leave.