1 | Lenzie

The hot wind relentlessly struck my face as my shoes pounded against the unforgiving pavement, propelling me forward at a rapid pace

The hot wind relentlessly struck my face as my shoes pounded against the unforgiving pavement, propelling me forward at a rapid pace. The reason behind this hasty sprint was none other than my tardiness for school.

I steal a quick glance at the watch securely wrapped around my wrist and notice that there are merely five minutes remaining before the school's gates shut. On my very first day, I am determined not to arrive late.

I should have gone to bed earlier yesterday instead of sleeping at 2:00 a.m.

I manage to enter the school's gate just before it closes, leaving me with only two more gates to reach within a mere two minutes. As I attempt to catch my breath, I exclaim, "Hey!" when a guy with a chest as solid as a rock accidentally collides with me.

"I'm sorry," he gently caresses my cheeks, "I dislike being touched, especially by someone who bumps into me." I remove his hands from my face and firmly state, "Let go, as I cannot afford to be late on my first day."

"Atleast tell me your na-" I interrupt him before he can finish his sentence and hastily make my way towards my classroom.

...
🧁After the first period

"Hey, you!" A girl approaches me as I retrieve my textbooks from my locker. "Uh...hi" I respond, closing my locker and directing my attention towards her. "You're a bitch and a whore!" Her aggressive words catch me off guard. "Excuse me..." I begin to retort, but she grabs my hand and forcefully drags me into the girls' washroom.

"Do you even know who you bumped into this morning?" I recollect the scene vividly in my mind. "Of course, I don't. It's my first day here, and he was the one who bumped into me," I respond. The girl lets out a sigh and continues, "He's my boyfriend, Jonathan. Stay away from him because he's mine."

I walk up to my next class, which is biology, and choose a seat near a girl who is sitting in the front row. "Hey," I greet her, and she reciprocates the greeting. I pose an unusual question, "Do you happen to know Jonathan?" It's a peculiar inquiry. "Yes, of course I do. He's the reason I enrolled in this school." The people here truly have their quirks, I think to myself. "But, he already has a girlfriend. You know that, right?"

"Yeah, I know," I immediately regret asking her that question. "What's your name?" I place my notebook on the desk, eager to engage in conversation. "It's Lumina," she responds, and I can't help but admire what a beautiful name it is. "Mine is Julia," I utter, feeling a tinge of disappointment at how plain and commonplace my name sounds. I wish I had a name as lovely as hers.

"By the way, can I see your schedule?" I extend my hands, gesturing for her to hand me the item in question. "Here," she places it in my palm, and I examine it closely. "We have the same schedule!" I exclaim, displaying my own schedule to confirm the similarity. "That means we can be best friends, right?" I nod eagerly, and she rummages through her bag, pulling out a keychain. "Here, it's a couple's keychain that I bought for Jonathan and me, but you can have it," she explains. I accept the gift she has offered, remarking, "It's so lovely!"

"I know, it's me who bought them. I have a lot of stuff. Would you like me to show you?" She places her bag on her lap, hinting at the possibility. "Not right now," I reply with a smile. Just as we settle in, the teacher finally arrives, but to ny surprise, it's our homeroom teacher and not the one I was expecting.

"Hello, students. I wanted to inform you that this weekend. you will be able to move into your respective dorm rooms. The room assignments will be given to you tomorrow after school ends. Therefore, please wait in the assembly area tomorrow. Thank you for your attention."

"I hope we can stay together," I hold her hand. "But even if we can't, we'll always be together," I add with a smile, and she reciprocates the same gesture.

...
Lunch time
"Julia... I just got my period, so I'll need to go to the washroom. You can head to the cafeteria and wait for me there..." I nod in understanding and give her a reassuring thumbs up.

I make my way to the cafe and join the line to order food. After patiently waiting, it's finally my turn to approach the counter. As I glance at the prices listed for each item, I am taken aback. $260.00 for a slice of pizza? $245.00 for a serving of French fries? $270.00 for a burger? $200.00 for a pastry? Is this a school cafeteria or a Michelin-starred hotel? Considering my monthly allowance of $10,000, I can't help but feel that these prices are exorbitant. Well, they are indeed expensive, but still...

After purchasing a cup of noodles for $250.00, I find an empty table and take a seat. It strikes me as peculiar that Lumina has yet to join me here.

"Hey," a guy interrupts my meal as he takes a seat next to me. "What is your name?" He looks at me intently. "Julia," I respond. He focuses back on his meal and casually remarks, "Julia, this is my table. I always sit here." Surprised, I stand up and take my cup in hand. "In that case, I'll find another place to sit," I assert. He quickly interjects, "No, I didn't mean it like that. You can sit here." Relieved, I resume my previous spot, and he leans towards me, whispering in my ear, "Consider this your seat now. If I catch you sitting at another table, I'll bring you back here. By the way, my name is Jullian." I can't help but notice the striking similarity between our names. Anxious, I inquire, "Why does it feel like the girls are out to get me?" He glances around the room, then back at me, cryptically stating, "You'll find out soon enough."

"Hey Juli-" Lumina doesn't even finish her sentence; instead, she stares intently at the boy sitting next to me. Without hesitation, she grabs my wrist and leads me to a secluded corner.

"Julia! You were sitting next to him?" Lumina looks at me, then shifts her gaze towards the guy. "Is he a thief, a murderer, or perhaps a bully?"

"No, Julia, he's Jullian. Every girl has a crush on him. He's wealthy, handsome, and kind," she explains, emphasizing his desirability.

"Is that why the girls were giving me those intense looks, as if they were about to devour me?" I inquire, seeking confirmation. Lumina nods in agreement and guides me back to our table.

"You two can stay here and eat, and I'll find another place to sit," Lumina suggests "But Lumina," I start to say, but she interrupts by placing a finger over her lips, signaling for me to be silent. "Shh... I'm fine," she whispers, then begins to walk away. I can't help but wonder what is going on with this girl.